Forums Latest Members
  1. Petjyr63 May 9, 2013

Hi there

I´m new to this site but not to the watchworld. Been intrested in watches since early 90's. Gone through Omega Speedmasters, Rolex Subs, IWC and other nice watches. After a couple of years of no watchflipping I´m getting back.

So here is one of my latest buys. Just wanted to check with you who know much more of these than I do.

Is it legite? Is the dial original or a service dial? Whats the small holes at the 12 and 6 markers?

What I know from the seller is that the watch was bought by a relative to him in -66. He was apperantly also a diver and used the watch on a daily basis. The seller thought that the dial was replaced sometime around the 80' and that the plexi is an aftermarket. The back is showing a lot of wear. Hard to see anything on it.

I looked at the plexi and it got the small Omega sign on it. Also the dial has the T Swiss made T sign at the bottom. Well here are som photos and I hope someone can share some light over this stunning watch. Did I mentioned that it keeps the time as good as my Tudor Pelagos. :)

Omega back.jpg Omega caliber.jpg Omega crown.jpg Omega full dial 2.jpg Omega plexi and dial.jpg Omega T swiss made T.jpg

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 9, 2013

The dial looks original to me (or replaced very early on). The small holes at 12 and 6 o'clock were part of the manufacturing process for these dials actually verifying originality. The rest of the watch looks legit - crown may be a later replacement but that is somewhat less important.

3. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

Can we see the SWISS under the 6?
    And inside of the caseback

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2013

The crystal looks like it has an Omega symbol on it, so it's probably original. The movement has seen some moisture, so that would be a concern for me.

Cheers, Al

5. Petjyr63 May 9, 2013

Here is a closeup, hard to see but you should be able to see the T swiss made T. And also a pic of the caseback.

Omega Inside back.jpg Omega T swiss made T closeup.jpg

6. Petjyr63 May 9, 2013

How can you tell about the moisture? The watch works excellent keeping time within - 10sec a day.

Thanks guys for all info.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 9, 2013

I guess by looking at rusty regulator?

8. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

1 'sherlock' point fot Pd7. You got a LOOOOONG way to go to catch InvestiGator though.

9. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

Here is a SM 300 serial # 247254xx
    Look at where the "W" in SWISS is compared to your dial.
    "W" is half under the 6 lume marker on yours, none of the "W"
    is under on the # 247254xx
    Here's my opinion-
    Your watch has a real Omega Tritium dial.(luminova service replacement markers
    would be smoother and puffy)
    The story that it was replacement in 1980 sounds correct.
    There is no way the watch had water in it, and the hands have zero oxidation, as Archer points out. So I think they were replaced also.
    There are 4 or 5 different bezel insert styles over the production run
    and yours matches # 247254xx so that is OK for sure.
    Caseback looks fine
    Crown is wrong, looks like a Speedmaster crown. Easy fix.
    Nice watch. Enjoy
    24725427.jpg
    24725427-6.jpg

Petjyr63 likes this.
  10. Petjyr63 May 9, 2013

Txs pitpro. Very informative. I'm thinking of getting the movement cleaned and gone thrue.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2013

So you don't think the watch had moisture inside?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 9, 2013

The ability of a watch to keep time is a very poor indicator of the need for servicing. Certainly if it keeps time poorly that can be a strong indicator it needs to be serviced, but the opposite is not true - a watch can keep time quite well and still need to be serviced....I see this often.

Cheers, Al

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 9, 2013

I think there is no question the movement had moisture. I would tend to agree that given the degree of damage to the movement you would expect some degradation in the hands that you don't see so the hands could be replacements but it is also possible that most of the moisture was confined to the movement and that the hands remained relatively spared.

14. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

No, sorry , I was agreeing with you.
    The regulator is corroded.
    Dial replacement was probably bc of water damage, he was a diver after all

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 9, 2013

Aye..aye captain........:D

16. MyVintageOmega May 10, 2013

I feel the dial is a replacement. There is no usual patina of any sort. The dials lume does not match that of the original hands.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 10, 2013

I've seen several examples where the lume in the hand does not match the lume in the dial and I am reasonably sure (and in a few cases really sure) that the dial is original and the hands have not been relumed. The pattern I've seen is like this one - better preserved lume in the dial and more aged lume in the hands.

18. Petjyr63 May 31, 2013

image.jpg Got my watch back after some tlc. Looks a lot better now.

Here is a wristshot also, I absolutely love it specially with a tropicstrap.

image.jpg

Central Scrutinizer likes this.