Forums Latest Members
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 25, 2019

Here is the question........

I send my Omega Speedmasters watch to Omega for service and pay the $750. What does Omega send back?
    A serviced time and ?
    Warranty paperwork for two years?
    Anyone out there care to share what they have received after service.

I posed this same question to an OB, my answer back was less than coherent.

2. MRC Mar 25, 2019

Not a Speedy (mine went to an indy) but an early quartz Seamaster: back came a red box, my watch -- now working again -- a guarantee for two years from date of service completion not despatch, and a small plastic bag with the original crown and seal for the crystal. AD's estimate had included new hands, but it seems Bienne disagreed. They must have fitted a new battery and other internals but I didn't get the old ones.

3. ext1 Mar 25, 2019

They send you one padded plastic bag that has receipt and your old parts in a smaller plastic bag. Now the problem is if they decided the dial or hands replacing they will put it in that bag with caution to the wind!!!

I believe also they give you a red service case for your watch, sometimes not if you sent head only (?).

4. MRC Mar 25, 2019

Service case is what I meant, not box. Just couldn't think of the right name for it.

5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 25, 2019

So more or less a receipt stating the service and a two year warranty.

ama98 and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Mar 27, 2019

And a box.

89-0 likes this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 27, 2019

Here is a scenario, have two equal watches. One has been serviced-papers and two year warranty. The other is as-is.

Would you pay $500-700 more for the watch with the warranty.

8. 8100_RPM Mar 27, 2019

While a serviced watch will fetch you more money, it won't offset what you paid for the service. I might pay a couple hundred more for the watch with service papers and warranty but not $500-700 more. Just my $0.02.

9. KingCrouchy Mar 27, 2019

I had two Ref.166020 that I sold. One was serviced by Omega and one wasn't. Selling the serviced one was much harder, and I was attracting a completely different group of potential buyers. Mostly people used to new models that wanted a vintage look.
    The not Omega Serviced one sold to a fellow collector in less than a week.
    I wouldn't pay 500-700 more, but I wouldn't be the market like most of the Forum.

If the watch is serviced by a reputed watchmaker, I'm ready to pay a premium of 60-70% of the service costs

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. MrJKLFoams Mar 27, 2019

Its always expensive to service with omega. My friend paid $845 AUD just for 5yrs service no problem with the watch just a spec of dust on the dial but omega sent him the old hands and sec. coz its not omega lume standard anymore.

11. Omegafanman Mar 28, 2019

My 2245.50.00 had run 24/7 for seven years (I used to use a watch winder in the past). It had a few minor scratches plus a 'major' down the bezel and side after I caught an aluminium door handle. I also caught the Crystal on that one. It came back like a new watch after the Omega service. There is still a small mark on the bezel (they are hard to polish) and I had to pay extra for the Crystal but everything else was included. New hands, crown plus some other parts. I got all the old parts back. I would say you get better value for money if you run the watch hard / past the standard service date - you pay the same whatever condition the watch is in. Different for vintage watch of course. There are some pics in this thread which is also relevant:-
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/2254-50-00…-time-not-to-let-it-change-hands-the-future-of-vintage.92024/

Edited Mar 28, 2019
  12. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 28, 2019

I had my triple date for just over 10 years before I got it serviced for the first time late in 2018, and it was the only watch I wore for those 10 years. I was delighted with the results of the Omega service. Like @Omegafanman noted, mine also came back looking like an almost new watch - I thought that the polishing they did was just right (the job they did on the bracelet was amazing, considering the state it was in after 10 years of desk diving). It didn't need ay extra work that was not covered by the standard service fee (the crystal is still pristine). It's also keeping much better time now, as accurate as my far newer DSOTM - I bought the DSOTM the day I dropped the triple date off for service - and that's not an unforeseen hazard of going to an OB to drop off a watch - I went there with the intention of getting the service and buying the DSOTM!

Side benefit is that I now hav a good relationship with that OB....been invited to a of couple events, offered to let me leave a deposit for the 50th anniversary model (no thanks!) and so on.

Omegafanman likes this.