Forums Latest Members
  1. shanelin Aug 27, 2018

Hi, i have this Seemaster that i love so much, but the anti reflection coating is gone i certain spots, this is bothering me every day.
    does the crystal gals need to be replaced or Omega can re coat it?
    how much would it be to replace the crystal? or the re-coating?
    this watch is my second watch i ever bought, it has been with me since 1997, i got a good discount of 60% in 97 i used to work for ETA Genschen CH.

any idea what is the value of it today in this condition, i wear it almost every day, so it is not in perfect condition as you can see from the photos.

20180827_185714.jpg 20180827_190547(0).jpg
  2. shanelin Aug 27, 2018

just wanted to add another photo.

20180827_185703.jpg
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 28, 2018

Get a new crystal from a Omega or google how to remove the coating.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. shanelin Aug 28, 2018

this is exactly the problem, i polished the Crystal but is not coming of i suspect the problem is also on the inside.
    i wrote several time to Omega (omega Malaysia) but no answer from this guys, and i have no alternative email address.
    i have a phone number of Omega Kuala Lumpur, tomorrow i will try to call them and get another email address, the problem in Malaysia is the all service personal are unprofessional, they are to lazy to pickup the phone or replay to mails.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 28, 2018

There is no external anti glare on these and I have seen the inner coating delaminating before. I don’t think crystals can be easily recoated. It is possible but is more often seen with camera lenses etc so not something the average watchmaker will have accesss to. I think a replacement crystal is the only realistically solution, other than crystal removal and polishing off the inner coating but that won’t be free either. Replacement isn’t cheap. In the UK it would circa £175 fitted.

6. shanelin Aug 28, 2018

thanks for the info.

7. shanelin Aug 28, 2018

i got a replay from Omega;

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we cannot recoat the glass. The only solution would be changing a new sapphire crystal glass.
    The glass would cost RM672.30 and the change the glass, this would require a partial service of RM1670. Nonetheless, we would advise you to send your watch for us to check on the condition and we will let you know the exact diagnostics of the watch.

1USD=4.2RM

8. shanelin Aug 28, 2018

then i gad some questions, and they answered almost immediately

Kindly find the answer to your enquiries as below in blue:

1. If I decide to do the partial service, is it possible that the anti-reflection coating will just be policed off so I don’t have to change the crystal, I don’t care about this anti reflection and the crystal on the watch is in perfect condition except for the anti-reflection coating missing in certain spots, this makes the watch crystal look stained

- Yes, we can remove the coating but we need to check on the watch condition before confirming this as not all watches reflection coating can be removed. To remove this coating, we will need to also do a partial service as we will be opening the watch and slight dismantling, thus this would affect the water resistance.

2. What is included in this partial service?

- Disassembly of the case

- Cleaning and refurbishment of the case and bracelet

- Tuning of the precision

- Complete quality control

-

Partial Service ensures that your watch case is sealed to withstand water according to your model’s specification. It includes checking and tuning the movement without dismantling it.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 29, 2018

It sounds like your service centre won’t change the glass without a full service. That is unfortunate, I am pretty sure that some authorised independent repairers would do this. STS in the UK for instance would AFAIK do it for the crystal price plus part repair fee, hence my suggestion of circa £175/$225. I guess the complication is the restitution of the water resistance so it is not as simple a repair as a clasp exchange. Maybe try an local independent repairer but they will need a parts account.

Have you ever had it serviced? It may be long overdue one. You got it cheap, it isn’t one of the most fashionable or popular models I am afraid but it’ll still likely be worth more today than you paid so perhaps the cost of the service work can be justified and you will get a new looking watch back.

Edited Aug 29, 2018
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

It's not a full service (read the scope he posted), just the work required to change the crystal, and ensure water resistance, and also check that the watch is still running fine when it is sent back. This is the scope that pretty much anyone would do when changing the crystal on a dive watch.

Interstellar likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 29, 2018

I am sure but if you do the exchange maths, they are quoting about $400 dollars or thereabouts to do this plus crystal cost at circa $160, the crystal fee sounds right but the rest that sounds rather more than many would charge for a crystal swap in my experience. $560 for a crystal swap sounds a little excessive even with remedial work to ensure water fastness, though I appreciate that this may not be straight forward.

Edited Aug 29, 2018
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

I made no comment on the prices quoted - that is a completely different discussion. I was simply pointing out that this is not a full service as you claimed it was. To me the scope of work appears to be appropriate - that was my point.

Now when they say disassembly of the case, and complete refurbishment of the case and bracelet, to me that indicates they are doing a complete reseal of the case. That typically includes:

- exchange of pusher seals
    - exchange of the HEV seals
    - exchange of the crown or crown seal
    - exchange of the case tube
    - installation of the new crystal with new crystal and case back seals

Then...

- checking/replacing worn pins and sleeves in the bracelet
    - refinishing of the case and bracelet
    - pressure testing, and reassembly of the watch

I don't see a crown seal being sold separately for this one, and a new 18k gold crown isn't exactly cheap. The seals in the two pushers, HEV, and crystal/case back (8 seals in total) are $70 for just the parts. Add in a new 18k gold crown, case tube, and some labour - yes depending on what they are actually going to change it's an not unreasonable price at all.

I know people like to claim that prices are outrageous when they see them quoted by brands or watchmakers, but as I've said many times unless you know the full scope of what is being done, you can't make any sort of informed judgement. If someone is doing it much cheaper, then they are likely not doing the full job.

Cheers, Al

mancio, Foo2rama and Interstellar like this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 29, 2018

Fair enough, I had noticed that the gold in the case makes for higher service costs as crowns etc are a lot more expensive. It still sounds pretty grim all the same.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

Doing the job right is grim...okay then!

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 29, 2018

I actually suggested he get a full service, I am not arguing with you that doing it right is the way forward. I was merely empathising regarding cost. Point your arrow someplace else! ;)

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

If you don't want me pointing my arrows at you, you should stop wearing this shirt...

[​IMG]

;)

padders likes this.
  17. shanelin Aug 29, 2018

Hi Guys,
    about 14 year ago a did a full service with Omega at 700 Swiss francs, when i received back the watch it was like new, 2 year warranty and they gave me back the old; crown, push buttons, crystal.....
    i did write once more to omega yesterday to ask how much was it to revision also the 1164 calibre, no answer so far.
    so far the cost of the replacement of the crystal and service of the case and bracelet is already 570USD=550CHF, so i guess if i do the compile job it will cost 700 CHF again.

i am actually thinking to do only a calibe service, and let my OCD for the crystal drown in a good bottle of whisky,

18. mancio Aug 29, 2018

Get a new cristal and have a full service done to the watch. Sure your wallet won't be pleased but that watch (who happen to be one of my favorite Chrono) deserve that.

;)

19. mancio Aug 29, 2018

My watchmaker just serviced my 145.022-74. He did the job just perfectly but it wasn't that much cheaper than Omega, and the reason that i choose him for that it's because i know him and i didn't want my watch polished and stripped of all the parts with patina.
    Good watch maker ( and usually people who know what they are doing ) are never cheap.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 30, 2018

The point is it won't be the service cost plus the ~RM2300 since as Archer points out above, most of the cost they have quoted for fitting the crystal is taken up by dismantling and restoring water resistance, something done routinely as part of a full service. No it'll be the regular service cost (not cheap unfortunately for a piece with precious metal) plus the cost of the crystal, the part cost for which is a more reasonable RM672. It does make sense therefore to have Omega service the watch and fit a new crystal, rather than paying out at a guess over half that expense for a new crystal only when the watch is clearly overdue a service anyway. You will then have your pride and joy restored to new once more. One thing though, they probably wont polish the bezel insert so you may have to improve that yourself with a Cape Cod, it'll come up fine (but be careful not to polish the brushed titanium). The price to replace it would be eye watering if as I suspect it is solid gold. An independent with a parts account could also of course do all this and may be cheaper than Omega, but then again may not be.

I'll now duck in case Archer is still taking practice shots!

Edited Aug 30, 2018