Forums Latest Members
  1. cortinakidda Mar 13, 2017

hi all,
    I recently bought this watch. It was stated as mechanical (automatic) on the details however when it arrived it didn't wind up on movement as i figured it should. I thought there was some issue with it as it went for a while then stopped. Then i gave the crown a twist and it winds. Before i send it back to the seller can someone confirm the movement is not original to the case/face? as it clearly states 'automatic'.
    IMG_7124.jpg

2. No Mercy Mar 13, 2017

It look original to me. May be the movement is in need of some service.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 13, 2017

Try winding it about 40 times, then wear it for a day. If it stops overnight, there may be a problem. I would also recommend, if you don't know the service history, take it to a watchmaker to get checked out. At that point, the watchmaker can show you the movement. Without photos, no one here can tell you if it's correct.

4. cortinakidda Mar 13, 2017

Thank you Efaucer.
    I guess the question is do you wind these 'automatics' at the crown? i thought they worked on body movement. ?

thank you in advance

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 13, 2017

They do but it's recommended to wind them at the crown to get them started. After that, it should run fine, assuming it has been serviced. As I said, if you don't know the service history, please have that done before you start wearing it or you may damage parts. If you've never had an automatic before, I would suggest learning more about them. There is a ton of info on the internet.

6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 13, 2017

Automatics are designed to be wound by the movement on the wrist acting on a rotor or weight inside the case. Most also have the ability to wind via the crown. However, some will only wind via the rotor/weight e.g. some Seiko and Orient movements. As suggested, a quick bit of research on the internet will explain more fully.

7. cortinakidda Mar 13, 2017

I have several automatics, but all I've just worn them to get them going. Thank you for the comments. Ill get it checked over before wearing.
    P