Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Dec 28, 2012

Whilst visiting the parents over the Christmas break I decided to do a bit of watch hunting to see what I could find. Took a trip to to Doncaster to an antiques type flea fair..and me, being the keen newbie to vintage watches that I am got there about three quarters of an hour too early!! But, for some reason I was allowed to have a peruse around (traders only?)..not long after walking around about 300 or so stalls, some open, some half open did I stumble across this beauty in a case of old watches, brooches, rings and various other antiquities..And I took a chance on it as it was a complete steel..and I don't think you would ever pick something like this for the price in London (keeping it to myself..) I haven't opened her up (which is probably a huge faux pas) to see the movement as amazingly he didn't know much about it other than it was from an estate, and also didn't have the correct tools...hmm...here are some iPhone pics of my find! I cleaned the crystal a little..interestingly it has a black date wheel..not sure if that's original.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356704092.676866.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356704108.711081.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356704122.977670.jpg

alam likes this.
  2. fjf Dec 28, 2012

That looks like a solid gold seamaster!. How much did you pay for that beauty?.

3. Sherbie Dec 28, 2012

Yep, second that - 2 of the lugs have Swiss hallmark stamps - if you have paid peanuts, you really, really have done well

Congrats, Paul

4. Dablitzer Dec 28, 2012

Hello respectable members. I paid the grand total of .By the way, is the date wheel correct? Seen any examples?

5. Dablitzer Dec 28, 2012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356709042.274381.jpg

I know it's not a deal breaker but picked up this rotary for £5! It's actually quite nice..Just fitted a genuine omega buckle as it came without.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Think I found something on the old-omegas.com website:

[​IMG]

I've seen white on black date dials, but mostly on black dialed watches like the Seamaster 300 (which has a very similar movement). It shouldn't be a big deal to get a replacement if you want one.

Looks like the Ref. 166.001 in either 14K or 18K gold. You'll need to visit the watchmaker to find out which fineness you have. However any solid gold Omega is going to easily worth more than $400, so you did real well.

Happy New Year,
    gatorcpa

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. Dablitzer Dec 28, 2012

Thank Gatorcpa! I will take it to a jewellers to get it checked out. Also, I can remember seeing another similar watch with a black date dial on this forum. Seems a weird thing to have on a watch like this which is more of a dress piece?!

Anyway, hope you have a happy & healthy start to the New Year!

8. Dablitzer Dec 29, 2012

9. alam Dec 29, 2012

:thumbsup: Looks like you got yourself a good deal! I sure like the looks of the caseback! :thumbsup:

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. Dablitzer Jan 2, 2013

Thanks

11. ulackfocus Jan 2, 2013

Wouldn't blame you.

It is a front loading watch from the early 60's with a caliber 56x inside. You're set up to triple your money, give or take depending on how cheaply you can replace the date wheel (although the black looks cool) and if it's 14ct or 18ct.

Nice snag man!