Forums Latest Members
  1. Jan Erik Feb 16, 2018

Hi! I've inherited an old Omega from my grandfather, which hasn't seen the light for over 10 years, and actually is in quite bad shape.

It is a Seamaster, with reference 14074-3 SC on it, and Cal-591.
    Serial number isn't printed on it, but rather carved by hand inside it. It also says 20 jewels inside it.

The crystal is broken, and the leather strap has to be changed as well. I've also realized that the crown has been very damaged and the logo is barely noticeable, so it would be something to change as well...
    And I guess it wouldn't be bad to have the inside serviced at the same time neither.

My concern comes that when I search for this watch with these references, I've found a couple of them who look quite similar, but not exactly the same. Especially regarding the numbers, as none with this reference had 12-3-6-9 written on it, but rather standard lines, with the exception to one, among 15 I found. I don't know if this is bad, or if maybe this is just a rare model...

So, first of all... Does this seem to be an original watch? In the case it is, when was it made, and where can I find more info about it?

If it is original, my idea is to repair it, but I don't know how much the watch may cost, and neither how much the reparation would cost, so I don't know if it would be worth it. What's your opinion?

Thank you very much in advanced.

IMG_2838_opt.jpg IMG_2839_opt.jpg IMG_2840_opt.jpg
  2. isaacg Feb 16, 2018

The experts on this forum will be able to provide much better advice if you can upload higher resolution photos so that the dial details can be seen better. Also, a picture of the inside of the caseback would be helpful.

Jan Erik likes this.
  3. Jan Erik Feb 16, 2018

You're more than right! Did not realize that I did upload the low resolution version. Thanks for your advice, and here's some extra new photos.

IMG_2855.JPG IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2860.JPG IMG_2861.JPG IMG_2862.JPG
    WhatYourWatchSay and isaacg like this.
  4. CodeFour Feb 16, 2018

OP, very cool watch, and so special that it was worn by your grandfather and passed to you. I am FAR from an expert, but I recently went through the process of trying to learn as much as I could about a vintage Omega, and I may be able to lend some information. I'll write down what I can offer, and I'll provide a source so you can make up your own mind about the information.
    -The caliber 591 movement was introduced in 1960. Source: http://www.chronomaddox.com/OmegaCaliberList.html
    -The Omega website has a vintage watch research section. The 14704 reference is there on three models, however the 14704 is preceded by the letters "OT", "CK", and "KO" respectively. I don't know what those letters mean, but all 3 models on the website show an introduction date of 1959. Only one of the three models there, the KO 14704, has an actual photograph of the watch. The watch photograph shown looks very similar to yours, although the number/indices are different. In my limited experience I would say that your watch bears the hallmarks of a genuine Omega Seamaster produced around 1960. In my search for my watch, I couldn't find the exact model on the Omega website either, and I've since reached out to their customer service people for more information. Source: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ko-14704/
    -The "3" after your reference number indicates this is the 3rd iteration or batch of these cases, this is information gleaned from other Omegaforum posts and I can't be sure my interpretation is accurate.
    -The "SC" means that the reference has a second hand, which of course yours does.
    -Your movement looks like other 591 movements I can find online, and appears to have the telltale qualities of a genuine article (i.e. crisp lettering, patina and wear similar to the rest of the watch, proper parts and configuration).
    -I don't see what I would expect to see for a serial number, but I see it looks like someone has scratched or written the number 17432715 on the movement. Omegas built in the 1960s bore serial numbers in the 17XXXXXX range, so I suspect that is your serial number and that is consistent with all the other information about the date of production. Source: http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html
    -Omega made MANY variations on the Seamaster during this era (Source: Omega Designs by Anton Kreuzer), and it isn't unusual to have difficulty finding an example of your exact model out there.

So to answer your questions (again, coming from a novice), I would say yes, I believe your watch is original, it was made in or about 1960. Regarding having it restored, there are many degrees of restoration and you should consider what you want to accomplish there. Many collectors place a high value on maintaining a vintage watch's "beat up" or patina appearance, and would rather have that than a perfectly restored piece. You may also want the watch to bear the marks given to it by a life spent on your grandfather's wrist, for sentimental value, and only restore the movement so it keeps good time. On the other hand, you can have a professional do a full restoration, but be prepared to spend in the ballpark of $1500 to have it done faithfully, rather than adding it to the ever growing stock of poorly restored junk (just my opinion). Omega has a restoration service for $1500 in Switzerland, but they only do it on watches produced before 1940. They also offer a "Complete Service" for around $500 to $650. Source: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service
    I don't know much about restoration, but I'm sure there are members on the forum who do. Thanks for the opportunity to share what I've learned and I hope it helps. I hope more experienced members can correct any of my inaccuracies and offer you more information. Enjoy your very special treasure in good health!
    Cheers

Jan Erik and isaacg like this.
  5. CodeFour Feb 17, 2018

I was able to find a bit more for you. The Omega Designs book by Anton Kreuzer has two full-page graphic drawings of your 591 movement with great descriptions to compliment...very cool. I don’t want to give away too much as this is a great book that any Omega enthusiast should own, but I can report with that added detail I am further convinced what you own is genuine, original, and manufactured in 1960. Another interesting note on the 591 movement is that it is listed as being anti-magnetic and shock resistant.

Jan Erik likes this.
  6. doog Feb 17, 2018

The only thing I can add to that is the standard OF mantra of ‘don’t send to Omega, they’ll ruin it’. Find a well respected watchmaker who services vintage watches near you, and use them instead. You’ll get a better, and closer to original condition, result and save a lot of money in the process. And SC means centre seconds rather than seconds on a sub-dial.

Jan Erik and CodeFour like this.
  7. Jan Erik Feb 19, 2018

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it!

CodeFour and doog like this.