Forums Latest Members
  1. sidius May 6, 2017

Hi all...

So following from my first post, I have found another pre-owned Omega, this one is a Seamaster Quartz watch - it looks in a much better condition than the Omega De Ville I'm considering...

What I know about this watch (some of this info is based on what the seller says)
    -It's pre-owned
    -it's gold plated
    -there is a slight problem with the day/date function - I'm not exactly sure what the slight problem is but can this be a negotiating factor and what kind of reduction in price can i get? _1_1.jpg _2_1.jpg _3_1.jpg
    -it does keep time and is a quartz
    -it looks to be in a good condition (actually very nice, clean, except from usage marks/scratches)
    -Seamaster engraved on the back looks legit but I'm not knowledgable in this regard
    -there are no papers or box

Seller wants $446 / £344

The questions i have about this:
    -Is this watch worth the price?
    -Is this watch authentic as I can't find any pics of the exact kind anywhere

If anything else does come up, I will add to this post.
    _1_1.jpg _2_1.jpg _3_1.jpg
    I look forward to responses on this and do hope this can be a timepiece worth having

Thanks

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2017

Define problem with the day and date. This will/could massively affect the price of the watch.

Without that info there is no way to price it as the repair/replace movement cost needs to be factored in.

3. Davidt May 6, 2017

Neither of the watches you posted are particularly sought after or desirable. Now this doesn't matter if you like them, however, there are also the more collectible DeVilles from the late 60's.

Bear in mind the cost of servicing these watches will exceed the value, so you really should look for one in good running order.

4. sidius May 7, 2017

I do like this watch, but the price seems too much given the fact that it does have the "jumping" day/date issue. The service costs in South Africa are sometimes double the value or more than that of the watch.

I will keep looking for something in better condition, just saving some pennies for that.

Thanks for the solid advice, I will keep this in mind.

5. nerd May 8, 2017

Any reason you are looking at Quartz watches over mechanicals? You'll find most of the more desireable models are mechanical, though there are pros and cons to both.

6. sidius May 8, 2017

hi. Not considering quartz over mechanical, just budget constraints don't allow for the nicer mechanical pieces, I am more than willing to wait until I can afford a better piece.

The problem is getting them to South Africa is a costly affair. I've found a Seamaster but to have it shipped from Italy would cost the same as the piece and a few dollars more

7. sidius May 8, 2017

All being said, I will wait until my budget allows for a decent mechanical / automatic piece

8. nerd May 8, 2017

That makes perfect sense, global shipping can be tricky. Good luck with the search, take your time and something great will turn up!

9. sidius May 8, 2017

Thanks for your expertise :thumbsup:

10. Canuck May 8, 2017

This watch will likely have the modern ETA based quartz movement in it. There is likely a fix for the calendar problem, but it will involve a complete service of the watch, plus some parts. Servicing could cost you the asking price for the watch. I'd say avoid it!