Forums Latest Members
  1. Remon Mar 12, 2017

Hi!

I'm considering to purchase this omega.

I was wondering, since I'm new to this:
    Does it look authentic?
    Are all parts (except the strap) original or could it be a Franken?
    Can the dial be refinished or is it to far gone?

Would appreciate some insight..
    Thanks in advance.

12_123766118.jpg 5864c97f-4a86-416f-80ad-5249f13db801.jpg 12_427472646.jpg 12_407461633.jpg 12_1261437699.jpg 12_373262050.jpg a83f0dd1-9888-4d8c-a16f-1e0f746b7616.jpg
  2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 12, 2017

Hey.

What has your research uncovered?

Seeing as you have the model reference in the case back, and the movement serial number to work from... ;)

Put a little in to get a little out...

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 12, 2017

What lizard boy said and how much are they asking?

4. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 12, 2017

Would be a pass for me. The dial degradation near some of the hour markers is too severe. Not sure if a 552 cal movt is proper for this watch, experts will comment I'm sure.

5. tyrantlizardrex Mar 12, 2017

Not until he learns to google for himself they won't... :whistling:

efauser likes this.
  6. No Mercy Mar 12, 2017

This watch look authentic to me, the crown has been replaced.

7. Remon Mar 12, 2017

I wasn't aware of the search mode at the omega website, thanks for letting me know. The movement doesn't seem to correspond with the case back serial number.

It seems like a good movement after a Google search , but an original is more appealing I must say.. Thanks for all the input, really appreciate it!

Good to know where to think of and how to find the facts through the website.

8. Remon Mar 12, 2017

I Google quite a bit, the search process on the omega website was new for me. :)

300 euro.

9. Remon Mar 12, 2017

Think I will pass on it..
    Thanks for the responses. :)

10. ruebekarl Mar 13, 2017

The price is ok and average for a watch in that condition. The wear on the dial might come off with a Rodico treatment by a watchmaker, so if you can live with the face I would grab it as everything else and esp. the movement looks good.

Remon likes this.
  11. Remon Mar 13, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

I thought the same but the movement doesn't originally belong to the watch if I did my research correct.
    Are "franken watches" not better to be avoided or are all original omegas very hard to find?

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 13, 2017

Yes to the first question, no to the second. Just check here before you make the purchase. Also, check the private watch sales. Here's one that may interest you. https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...ture-dial-and-gold-markers.54406/#post-665099

13. Remon Mar 13, 2017

I see.. So it's mainly a matter of how collectable and valueble a watch is when it's all original..

14. Remon Mar 13, 2017

That's a interesting example.
    I was unfortunately unable to find a reference on the omega website through the case back serial number.

Is this example kind of the same (replaced movement)?

15. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

Apart from the replaced crown, everything is correct on the one in the sales forum.

efauser likes this.
  16. Remon Mar 13, 2017

I see, it is also a little more exclusive due to the golden parts.

Would this watch be worth around 500-550 euro after service and dial refurbishment?

17. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

The "golden parts" are not key to understand why it is "more exclusive" - it has to do with the dial texture, if anything. I really mean no disrespect by this, but perhaps you should take a little time to get to understand the reference you are looking at? That would make enable you to evaluate them critically. As it is now, you are relying on strangers on the internet.

Why are all the newbies talking about investments and "worth"?!? It's a hobby, not a business! Good riddance.

18. Remon Mar 13, 2017

Again, I'm quite new to this, but I think that's pretty obvious. :) thank you for the explanation, it's quite helpful.

I mentioned the value to have an understanding of what type of watch i'm dealing with. Think it's interesting to know if this is more a standard or an exclusive model.

It also gives me an idea if the time and effort I will put into it are worth investing in to this watch..

Owning a genuine Omega Seamaster is a long wanted wish of mine, it's not before very recent I decided to explore this wish.. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge.

19. ruebekarl Mar 13, 2017

The best index for prices is the finished auction search in eBay: just type in Omega and your movement and you should get alot of information on real prices, although there are some fake auctions as well. In my eyes your pricing might be ok, although on the upper part of the scale of what you can get as revision work is usually something that is not paid for by the buyer. As said: Regard the watch as a hobby or even a family piece and stay happy with it. Thinking of it as a value will destroy your fun with it!

Bear in mind that vintage Omega seamasters are average watches, not bad, but not very exclusive either - as a car they might compare to a C-class Mercedes. So these are just 'good standards' and readily available. Constellations on the other hand are at least one class better - but also more expensive.

Remon likes this.
  20. Remon Mar 13, 2017

Thanks a lot, that's great information! :) :thumbsup: