Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M Review

1. STEELE May 3, 2012

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M Ref. 212.30.41.20.01.005

Retail: $5,000 CAD

"The James Bond 007 50th Anniversary Collector's Piece celebrates half a century of the world's favourite secret agent in motion pictures."

That's a quote from the enclosed Certificate of Authenticity which comes with the watch. The packaging is different from the usual red box: the watch is housed in a spring loaded bed and the cover embossed with the anniversary logo.
    IMG_8614.JPG

The Movement

The Seamaster 300M has the exclusive Omega Calibre 2507:
    * Bi-Directional self-winding movement
    * Officially certified chronometer
    * 27 Jewels
    * 25,200 beats/hours
    * 48 hours reserve
    * Co-axial Escapement with 3 levels and free sprung balance
    * Rotor has 9mm bullet withm "James Bond 50 Years" etched in a circle
    IMG_5026.jpg

The Case

The case is stainless steel, polished and brushed, with a uni-directional rotating diving bezel. It is available at 36mm and 41mm. The 36mm (ladies) version has a diamond at the 7 hour, which is not present in the 41mm.
    The bezel ring is a polished black ceramic with the "50" in red. The back is a screw-in with central sapphire crystal. There is a gun barrel design surrounding the bullet decoration on the rotor.
    IMG_8629.JPG

Dials, Hands and Crystal

Lacquered black dial with "007" repeated throughout the dial. Blue emission is used on the 11 applied indexes. This is very similar to the 40th Anniversary where the "007" was horizonally applied on a blue background and this version has them offset at an angle of 45 degrees on a black background. As with the other "Bond" SMP300M versions, the hands are the polihsed skeleton rhodium-plated.
    IMG_8648.jpg

The Bracelet

As with the case, the bracelet is brushed and polished but now with an Omega patented screw-and-pined.
    IMG_8617.JPG

OK, we have seen the specs, now lets compare and contrast with the 2220.80. The 2 cases are identical but the 2220.80 has a solid case back with the seahorse. The bezel is still not dive worthy as it is too difficult to rotate it with gloves or wet hands. The older model has a painted bezel where it is now ceramic. The pictures have it looking greyish but it is really a glossy black. The dial is where the differences can be easily seen: "Seamaster" is now in red with the word "Professional" directly below it in glossy silver. Lower on the dial is still the original words "CO-AXIAL", "CHRONOMETER" and "300m/1000ft". The other change is in the date wheel, it has raised silver numbers on a black background, where the older version had a white date dial with white painted numbers. The dial itself has swapped out the wave pattern for the repeatig "007" on a 45 degree angle. As in the older version, the pattern disappears under some light conditions.
    I also see an improvement in the bracelet as it now employs the screw and pin instead of the compression pins. I don't know if this is any easier to change links as I had it done by the Omega repair shop to avoid potental scratches so early in the life. The links themselves appear to have a polish where the older version had mostly a brushed look. The clasp no longer has "Seamaster" engraved but does have a larger "Omega" and symbol. The links seem to have sharper edges over the previous ones but haven't noticed any difference while wearing it.
    The crown, He valve and the provile view look identical to the 2220.80.

All and all, I am thrilled with the new look of the SMP300. With 11,007 peices in production, it would be a stretch to call it a "Limited" edition and would be more accurate to refer to it as a "Numbered" edition. Yes, the "007" is a little gimmicky but it's more subtle on this version and the presentation, IMHO, is outstanding!

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 3, 2012

I like this a LOT, for those that are curious, it seems that the Calibre 2507 is a specific variant of the Calibre 2500 with the bullet rotor to show off through that display back.

One interesting question... if you're up for it... nobody has so far taken the caseback off one of these and photographed the rotor underneath the caseback, it'd be an interesting shot to take, as that rotor is the unique part of the movement that gives it the Cal 2507 designation (no doubt the 7 in 2507 is a nod to 007 as well). It would mean you'd be the first to open one of these watches for photos, but it'd be really cool to see if you were willing ;)

3. Steve May 4, 2012

WOW.. thats a big ask, and to break his red dot seal..:eek:

Waiting with baited breath....

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2012

I know, breaking the red dot is a spiritual thing for some owners (though mine just rubbed off on my 2225.80 :p) it is however a chance to be the first person on the internets to get a photo of what this rotor design actually looks like under its magical caseback, you'll be a modern Omega folk-hero, the man that unmasked the Cal 2507 (I'm assuming nobody else has done it because I've searched high and low without finding a picture of the rotor obscured by the rest of the caseback and haven't found one!)

5. Steve May 4, 2012

Do it...Do it...Do it...:D

Lundy likes this.
  6. STEELE May 4, 2012

Ah, yes, the infamous red dot - not concerned about it. If I was to crack open the case, I would not only need a case opener (don't have) but also a very low humidity environment in which to do it (also don't have). I am as curious as the next, though!

7. Dr J Aug 9, 2012

ooo! would be nice to see those rotor photos!

And I love the caseback, its beautiful. Not super keen on the emblazened 007 across the dial though for a day to day watch.

8. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Aug 9, 2012

It's surprisingly subtle in the flesh :thumbsup:

9. Lea Sep 5, 2012

My husband and I bought a pair as a gift for ourselves on our anniversary last September 3. It was my second Omega, I have a De Ville. An old one already but the performance is great. Our new 007 50th anniversary collector's pieces are posted on my site: http://redisovermore.com

I love how you guys took photos of your watches. Maybe I'm just not good in photography ::shy::

Here are they: IMG_0930.jpg

The other photos are on the website above.

Olivia M Anders likes this.
  10. STEELE Sep 5, 2012

Congratulations on your anniversary and the excellent way to celebrate it! I love the ladies version with the diamond at the 7:00!

11. Lea Sep 5, 2012

Thanks a lot Steel! :)

12. Lea Sep 6, 2012

Sorry, the website for my post about our 007 50th anniversary Seamasters is http://rediscovermore.com

I posted mispelled URL's twice! My bad :confused:

13. mtflight Jun 11, 2013

caliber-2507-artistic.jpg
    This is a composite picture (note caliber number is different by the balance wheel). But I would think this "artistic rendition" is pretty accurate. Not much else to it.

dsio and Privateday7 like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2013

Ah! Thank you very much for that, you've satisfied my curiosity! Welcome by the way to omegaforums!

15. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

Olivia, I edited your post to separate it from the quote of Lea. You gotta leave your comment after the end of her post, signified by the [/quote].

Thanks!

ps - it is a good idea to drop hints.

16. Lundy Nov 14, 2013

I was looking at buying a new bracelet from ofrei.com and they asked the case number of my watch. I understand in order to get the case number you need to open the case( break red dot seal ). I told 'em I'd prefer to not do that, if necessary. Is it a big deal to open it, if there's nothing wrong?

17. Hijak Nov 14, 2013

If its a modern omega the case # (also known as the reference #) is on the red cards that came with your watch...

18. ron n Nov 14, 2013

I would have to say the bezel is very dive worthy, you set it before you get in the water, I do not want it to move underwater. If if does your dive time will be wrong, but in the day of dive computers mine is a back up.

19. Lundy Nov 14, 2013

So, all modern Omegas with the ref # 21230412001003, have that same case #?

20. Hijak Nov 14, 2013

case number and reference number are one in the same...

Lundy likes this.