Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean TI LiquidMetal

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2011

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium LiquidMetal

The last high end Planet Ocean, also to bear the LiquidMetal name was a limited edition of 1948 pieces and was released in November 2009 through Omega Boutiques. The watch featured a ceramic bezel design superior to competitors from Rolex, a ceramic dial with applied indices, and had a balance and elegance about it that made it seam more the product of JLC or AP than a lowly Omega.

Supplies of the LiquidMetal were virtually non-existant, limited stock was pre-ordered and sold before arriving on store shelves, and it enjoyed demand usually seen only for new release Rolex sports models until the start of 2011. Its was confirmed that stock is no longer available, and that the LiquidMetal was completely sold out, which disappointed me in particular, because I genuinely wanted one of these pieces of mechanical art. Today LiquidMetal PO's are appearing for sale at above $5,000, which for an Omega is absolutely staggering. This is a watch that's holding its value as well as the Rolex Submariner, and its made by Swatch Group!

Fast forward to BaselWorld 2011, and those that missed out on the original LiquidMetal might just be in luck, because its Titanium cousin has arrived...

The new LiquidMetal Planet Ocean features an entirely Titanium case, a first for the Planet Ocean line, and in another first, features Omega's highly regarded and extremely sophisticated Calibre 8500 movement, marking this only the second dive watch after the PloProf to carry the new Omega flagship movement.

The new deep navy blue dial and bezel combination adds a new look to the Planet Ocean line, with the colour almost matching the later model "Bond" Seamaster Professional watches, which also came with the same style of blue strap on some models.

The strap may be joined at a later date by a mesh or link bracelet, but at this stage it is understandable that the strap is the only option, owing to the fact that neither the mesh, nor standard Planet Ocean bracelet has ever been made in Titanium before, and will have to be a bespoke item specifically for this reference.

Highlights:

Omega Calibre 8500 Co-Axial Movement
    Titanium Case
    LiquidMetal Ceramic Bezel
    Ceramic Dial with Applied Markers
    BroadArrow Hands
    Water Resistant to 600 Meters
    Alternating Blue-Green Lume (Blue with Green Minute hand)

OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean_5.jpg
    OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 02.jpg

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 23, 2011

That's one badass looking lume, love it.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2011

One thing I REALLY like is that you can tell they looked at it from a diver's perspective. In order to de-clutter it at depth, the bezel dot and the minute hand both glow green, which will be brighter, and more obvious than the blue at depth, meaning at a glance you can see the two most important dial elements, and tell exactly how much air you have left without the possibility of confusing hands and markers.

4. rxpete Mar 29, 2011

It's beautiful. I like everything about it but I'm not sure how I feel about the grip on the bezel. I think I like the way my 45.5 looks better. It has a more vintage feel whereas this one is more modern looking. I'll reserve final judgement until I see one in person.

Any word yet on the msrp?

5. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

Yep, this is taken from Timezone:

"I just received the prices for the new Planet Ocean lineup from Basel.

Basically all non-chrono watches has received the 8500 movement.

The prices are as follows:

Planet Ocean with bracelet (steel): 4600 €

Planet Ocean with rubber-strap (steel): 4500€

Planet Ocean Chronograph (steel): 6100 €

These prices are only for the orange and the black versions. The blue version is only made in titanium and costs a whole lot more:

Ti Planet Ocean: 6400 €

Ti Planet Ocean Chronograph: I could not get the exact price but it should cost something like 7800 € "

Those prices will include VAT as well, so a direct conversion to other currencies might not be accurate

Chris

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Is the 42mm 8500?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

How does that stack up to the current Sub-C LV/LN and DSSD pricing in Euros? Do you have a Rolex pricelist on hand (MSRP)?

8. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

Not sure what the future of the 42mm model is - from what I'm hearing, the cal. 8500 is too large for the 42mm case, and will only fit in the 45.5mm case. There did appear to be a white dial and bezel Planet Ocean displayed as well that seemed smaller, it may well have a cal. 2500 in. I'll need to do some more looking into that

I'm not sure what the Rolex prices are in Euros, but for a quick conversion into pounds, it goes as follows:

SS PO on bracelet: €4600 = £4050
    SS PO on rubber: €4500 = £3950
    PO Chrono: €6100 = £5350

Ti POt: €6400 = £5625
    Ti PO Chrono: €7800 = £6850

Current UK prices for the Rolexes:

116610LN: £4970
    116610LV: £5290
    116660: £6600

Certainly in steel there's a big enough difference in price to make many people think that the Planet Ocean is a better buy than the Rolex, although the fact they've almost doubled in price over the current model is going to take some getting used to. It might potentially take away some of Rolex's market share, anyway

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

You're never going to be able so sell a rubber PO... who would save 100 quid and not get a bracelet?!?

10. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

Agreed. It's a rare thing for us to have one in on rubber anyway, I personally think it looks best on bracelet, and if the customer does want it on rubber, we can either special order a new one, or order the strap separately. It costs a couple of hundred quid more, but you get the choice of both that way :thumbsup:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Other thing is: Ti PO on bracelet: €6400 = £5625

Does this mean there's a bracelet in the works for the TI models? The press images were all strapped, which possibly turned some people off a bit.

12. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

Sorry, that was my mistake, I wasn't paying enough attention. I don't think there is a bracelet, not yet anyway - I'll go change it now!

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Is there a TI PO chrono too? Didn't see a picture of that one.

Can tell by the pricing, they're intending the TI ones to be taking on Rolex directly, I think they're going to need to come up with a bracelet sooner or later due to most people's preference for them, but since the PO bracelet has never been made in TI before, there's probably some retooling needing to be done before that can be produced, maybe by the time they appear in ADs later in the year it will be an option.

14. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Zh0ZtyJiQ&feature=player_embedded - go to 1:23. The chrono there appears to be blue (and therefore Ti), and is on a bracelet too :thumbsup:

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

Just noticed something else, the open 6 and 9 font used on all Planet Oceans thus far, which is a nod to the original Omega Seamaster 300 vintage dive watches has been changed, and they're now normal closed digit font. Also looks like the new dial is more matte than gloss like the original PO LM below

LMLMLM.jpg

16. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 30, 2011

Some good observations there. I wonder if they're using non-ceramic dials for the new POs?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2011

Turns out the blue non-chrono is available on bracelet too:

This thing looks incredible!

(image from hodinkee.com)

Omega PO - 4.jpg

rxpete and Trev like this.
  18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 31, 2011

Wow, looks really good. Nice subdued blue. Far better on a bracelet, IMO.

19. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 31, 2011

Wowaweewa! That looks stunning!

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2011

It definitely is far better on bracelet, but tell you something, this thing reminds me so much of the Rolex Submariner Ceramic WG version, but yet, I honestly think it looks better, particularly the bezel is better, but the dial with the applied markers and red Seamaster writing looks brilliant. Being titanium and fully brushed you don't have to worry about it like the sub either!