Forums Latest Members
  1. Risto Feb 23, 2020

So, there's this ad that interested me on Chronotrader:

Screenshot 2020-02-23 10.29.31.png 20200210_084546~21115.jpg 20200210_084546~2148515.jpg 20200210_147084546~215.jpg 20200210_084546~245 - copia.jpg

Looking too good to be true? Maybe. So, let's contact with the seller.

As always I'm very polite and not assuming that the seller is a scammer but 2500USD for this watch makes me cautious. I ask for more info about the watch and the seller emails me some photos, 700x700px. Very nice watch.
    And I've been looking for this kind of Seamaster, so I'm excited.
    Seller says he has no online feedback. I presume the seller is HE (not she).

Now, the seller says he's in Spain. OK.
    I ask why he wants USD, not EUR, no answer.
    So I ask some more questions, and he's quickly replying but not always answering my questions.
    I ask him again:
    1. What shipping do you offer?
    2. Service history?
    3. A video of the watch working.
    4. Start Chronograph and make a video.
    5. Write my name on paper and photograph it with a watch.
    Normal questions, right?

He's answer was:
    "Friend keep looking for someone who accepts all your requests.
    You are very wrong. For all this process Paypal is used with protection 100%."

Yeah.
    So, it could be cultural differences, but I feel that this guy is not good. Maybe I'm wrong.
    I would love to get this watch for 2500USD in the EU (no duty + taxes).
    Prove me wrong.

2. Impgreene Feb 23, 2020

So, I will leave the comments on the authenticity of the watch to others.

However, I can add that this has been round the block already last summer, a reverse image search on Google shows exactly the same photos being used in July 2019: https://www.catawiki.com/l/27830515-omega-vintage-chronograph-cal-321-men-1901-1949

If you have really fast fingers there is an intermediate screen that pops up from the cache for the original auction and then disappears to become the above link - I managed to screenshot it (below).

Seller was ChronoMax, 86.5% positive feedback - don't know about others, but I wouldn't buy anything from someone with 86.5% feedback.

This might or might not be the current seller, but it does show it's already had an interesting history and is being turned over again (in an 'interesting' way) following what is already an 'interesting' history.

Even more interesting is that the current price seems to be below last summer's price by about 30% - hmmmmmmmm - I didn't know the vintage watch market had crashed in the last 8 months ………...

On some of the points above - you do sometimes see people selling in USD when they are in Europe / UK - this could be because they either a) think they are more likely to get overseas purchasers given USD is the dominant world currency and people are used to it; or b) if they set up their accounts incorrectly some default to USD (I saw this once on eBay). I have actually seen this a few times, and emailed to ask why, and received these two answers …………….

Also, Paypal doesn't take care of shipping, or photos, or service history, or authenticity …………. so on this he is just trying to obfuscate.

Probably one to leave alone.

Watch Sale.png

Edited Feb 23, 2020
  3. Impgreene Feb 23, 2020

Here is the original seller from July 2019: https://www.catawiki.com/fulfilment/seller/6599883/feedback

Probably this review (30 January 2020) would put me off the current purchase (even if its not the same guy):

"FORGERY.Case old not original, mechanism moves inside.Case back does'nt close properly.Dial reprinted.NO ANSWER FROM THE SELLER. I have a report from a watchmaker and I'll REPORT THE POLICE FOR FRAUD."

4. Risto Feb 23, 2020

Thanks.
    I couldn’t find any photos when using reverse image search.
    I guess it’s confirmed. Love this reference though :(

5. Impgreene Feb 23, 2020

I used the one that also included the box as I thought it would be most distinct ……………..

6. Impgreene Feb 23, 2020

It is a beautiful watch though, a shame ……………..