Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 10, 2012

Respectable Members

Kindly advise.

For a vintage Omega Seamaster diver watch, model reference 166.073, as for the main case, what finishing should it have - highly polished bright and shiny or a matte finish? I have seen both on the market.

As for the outside of the back-cover, some have a small medallion, while others have a bigger one with information like 'high pressure, waterproof, etc'. Is there any difference between the two, in terms of collectibility?

Thank-you.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 10, 2012

Should have a brushed finish.

Its so much easier to just polish up (or more often over polish) a case than refinish them correctly, that's why so many just end up completely polished.

Condition being equal case back design shouldn't make much difference in value, just be sure it is in fact the correct reference number.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 10, 2012

They have a very fine radial brushed bezel and lugs, giving the surface a matt finish.

I like these 120 models!

Cheers

Desmond

4. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 10, 2012

Respectable Member X350 XJR

Thanks for your response.

It is just crazy, as to why people do such a silly operation. Over-polishing will surely diminish the beauty of an otherwise attractive time-piece.

Thank-you.

5. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2012

Most people don't think like collectors. They just want a pretty & shiny watch. We're the minority guys.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 10, 2012

Respectable Member mondodec

I appreciate your advice and I know what to look for, once I have managed to gather enough funds.

Indeed, the 120 is desired by collectors and also, someone looking for a masculine-looking watch to wear, daily.

Thank-you.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 10, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Thanks for your response.

No denying, a shiny watch looks attractive but it has to be factory-original. Otherwise, it is going to be a big, NO.

Though a minority, I think collectors are spot-on.

Thank-you.