Forums Latest Members
  1. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

Hi I hope someone can help!
    Iv been offered this watch for £1200
    I really like the look of the watch and I would be happy to have it on my wrist
    However the current owner says it has been losing time and has assured me that it just needs its 5yr service at a cost of £350!!! So in short would this be a good deal for £1550 in total?
    Thanks

image.jpg
  2. R3D9 Jun 26, 2017

We're gonna need better picture that that :)

a) make sure they're in-focus
    b) get pictures of the dial, both sides, the bracelet and caseback.
    c) make sure they're in-focus

Ask the seller how old it is and when it was last serviced. If he indicated it has been serviced, ask for proof.

Does the watch include box and papers?

Also, if you find out the reference number of the watch, you can fairly easily research the value yourself by searching past sales on eBay.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

3. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

4. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

Thankyou for your quick response!!!
    The seller is actually a family member
    It was purchased in 2011but it hasn't been serviced as of yet,all of the papers, box etc comes with it and are in perfect condition.
    The watch itself is in perfect condition apart from a couple little scratches to the wristband clasp.
    Iv tried to find info on the watch but there seams to be the slightest little bit of difference in every watch I look at.
    Thankyou again

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  5. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

What's your opinion?

image.jpg
  6. pianomankd Jun 26, 2017

Beautiful watch! I got the blue version this weekend myself!

s-l1600.jpg

7. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

It's nice in blue
    This is where I'm getting a little confused
    Your watch looks exactly the same except mine says seamaster directly under the omega does this mean anything?
    do you mind if I ask how much you payed for yours?

8. pianomankd Jun 26, 2017

$1750

9. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

Was that pre owned?

10. pianomankd Jun 26, 2017

Yes, condition looks great and almost new so I couldn't pass it up.

11. Mjamesm Jun 26, 2017

So maybe I'm overpaying a little bit I might have to do a bit more negotiating thanks

12. R3D9 Jun 26, 2017

The location of the Seamaster logo on the dial is correct for the reference indicated on the warranty card. Again, I encourage you to search eBay for that particular reference to see what they sell for.

The bracelet looks a bit worn and I'm not sure, but it might have been buffed to eliminate the polished finish on the inner links... you should ask for other pictures to confirm this... some people like the overall brushed/matte look for this bracelet and buff it to make the whole thing uniformly matte... I am not a fan of this approach and prefer the way the bracelet was intended to look by Omega.

Again, it could just be the pictures making it appear that way.

The case looks to be in decent shape and the lugs look sharp.

I don't own this particular watch, though, so I can't speak to its authenticity with certainty. Looks ok to me, but hopefully an owner of the exact reference will chime in.

Mjamesm likes this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 26, 2017

Ok some homework needed here. Firstly, the blue watch is the original Bond SMP design 2531.50 which in that S-L lume form has been around since late 1997 (and in tritium form since about 1995) so while it is similar, it shouldn't really be directly compared in price with a later Co-axial version from 2011 which is worth a few quid more. If it is complete with b&p then £1200 for the black model above is about right, though maybe £1,150 may be fairer, bearing in mind the mechanical condition. A full service is now currently circa £380 direct from Omega or around £310 from STS who are just as good, if not better in some respects. Whichever you send it to, it will come back looking as new.

ps it may just be the picture but the bezel insert on the blue Bond above looks aftermarket to me, the originals are usually a paler grey blue than that, though as I say it may just be the pic if it is oversaturated.

Edited Jun 28, 2017
  14. Aqw1942 Jun 27, 2017

The blue dial one...do the dial faces all have the wavy design and non wavy design? I've only seen solid background ones.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2017

All pre SMPc (with ceramic bezel) are wavy dial. My thoughts is poetical form:

When we waved goodbye to the wavy dial, we waved goodbye to class and style.

Edited Jun 27, 2017
  16. pianomankd Jun 27, 2017

Maybe waved goodbye to uniqueness, but I'm not sure about class. The new dials are absolutely gorgeous in person.

I'm a proud owner of a classless and styleless blue dial.

67ViP, pault8084, R3D9 and 3 others like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2017

Don't take it personally, you try finding something relevant to rhyme with dial!

Edited Jun 28, 2017
    Nitzbar, ConElPueblo and terryb111 like this.
  18. panaitchrono Jul 3, 2017

In my opinion it's a fair price but not an exceptional 'good deal'..

19. ConElPueblo Jul 3, 2017

You're not completely wrong - these non-ceramic versions are thinner due to the different bezel. IMO, one of the key aspects that sets this apart from many other dive watches and accentuates the class/"dressiness" of the SMP is how thin it is.

I like this watch at 1200 and not so much at 1550 - you should be able to find a good watchmaker whose been trained in co-axial movements for a lot less (www.watchguy.co.uk is one such).

I have had the very same reference Seamaster as the one you're looking at and I was very, very satisfied with it. The only reason I sold it again was due to its popularity. I just don't like seeing "my" watch on a lot of other people's wrists :p

Mjamesm likes this.