Forums Latest Members
  1. dra43b Jan 11, 2020

I came across this piece and the seller told me it had a gold jacket. May I ask the ff:
    - is the watch legit?
    - is the watch redialed?
    - what is "gold jacket"? Seller told me this is the reason why he gave me a steep price.

Thank you.

received_3895586433800996.jpeg received_2260307164266389.jpeg received_482546729130946.jpeg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 11, 2020

Yes, it's genuine.

The dial looks original.

More typically referred to a gold capped, these are stainless steel cases with a heavy layer of gold fused to them. Although preferable to gold-filled or gold-plated they carry absolutely no premium in value and the condition of this one certainly wouldn't carry any premium either.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 11, 2020

As stated above, often referred to as gold-capped. IMO, premium over gold plated would be minimal, if any.

4. Walrus Jan 11, 2020

Damn of course he is going to charge a high premium. Gold is almost 1,600 an ounce and there might be 15-20 bucks of gold on that. Even the vintage solid gold cases aren’t that big a deal gold content wise. I found an old gold movado in my area but the guy wouldn’t budge on his overpricing as it was “solid 14kt” I honestly have no idea how much gold is in a standard size vintage 35mm-37mm case but I know it’s not that much. If I want gold I’ll buy bullion. These things aren’t those special edition solid gold case and band. I’d chuckle if he told me it was a premium because it’s gold capped although you didn’t mention a price, maybe he is asking a fair price the watch looks to be in good condition but I’d like to ask him what is his premium all that precious gold weighing down the watch

janice&fred likes this.
  5. janice&fred Jan 11, 2020

I also know that watch. luckily that same guy made some mistakes on other vintage stuff he had :D

6. Walrus Jan 11, 2020

No it wasn’t that one. The one I’m talking about was someone else in our state with a unredialed one.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. webvan Jan 11, 2020

Yep, CD in the reference number stands for "Coiffe d'Or", pretty poetic, eh ?
    You can spot them because the back of the lugs is NOT gold colored. I have one and it looks a LOT nicer than any of my otherwise decent looking GF Omegas. In fact it looks like a gold watch, less the weight. As for the premium...

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2020

Not sure that is correct. For some gold-capped models, Omega used a KO prefix.

Does that mean it was soaked in Coca-Cola?;):)

Not sure there is any rhyme or reason to those old Omega prefix codes.
    gatorcpa

9. webvan Jan 11, 2020

Well the thing to remember is that all CD watches are definitely Coiffe d'Or/Gold Capped so if by extraordinary CD didn't stand for "Coiffe d'Or" it wouldn't matter anyway.

Now it doesn't mean that Gold Capped models didn't used another reference at some point...and according to this site KO was indeed used by Omega "For watches made until the early 1960s" https://wahawatches.com/how-to-identify-a-vintage-omega-2019/

Something that might be of more interest to the OP is this great document that I came accross again about CD/Gold Capped Omegas : http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/GoldCap.pdf

10. lindo Jan 11, 2020

Something that might be of more interest to the OP is this great document that I came accross again about CD/Gold Capped Omegas : http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/GoldCap.pdf[/QUOTE]

I agree: Desmond's (mondodec) article on gold capping is the best I have found on the topic.

Another point worth noting is that Omega 14K gold capping is exceptionally hard. Last year I bought gold capped 1959 Omega Constellation in beautiful condition, but having applied a hand rubbing with a silver cloth to remove dirt, grease and tiny micro scratches, I found that the micro scratches refuse to come out. Applying the same relatively light rubbing to micro scratches in 18K gold cases works wonders, but the 14K gold capping is much harder, and I have decided to let them be.

You can see what I mean with the micro scratches adjacent to the crown.
    IMG_0004.jpg

11. dra43b Jan 12, 2020

Sorry everyone, was unable to indicate prices. It is being sold for $1k

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2020

A $300-$400 watch.

13. KingCrouchy Jan 13, 2020

For 1k you can get a Constellation, it's really a 300-400$ Watch at best, like @X350 XJR said. Negotiate the price down or search a better example.

14. dra43b Jan 19, 2020

Thanks guys, decided to not push through with the purchase. Was tempted though. Lol