Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster GMT "NOT FOR SALE" on lugs

1. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

I recently just purchased an Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary (2534.50) from a trusted dealer. I got a great price at $1000 considering usually they go for around $2000 and up. The watch also came with the box but no papers.
    I was told the watch also had a bit of patina on the markers and a discolored "vintage" bezel, as usually, it would be darker on the night GMT hours:
    front-omega.jpg
    I was looking at the case more in depth, and since this is my first Omega, I wasn't aware s/n are supposed to be inside the case. I looked on it and found on 3 of the 4 corners of the case a "NOT FOR SALE", one on each of the corners of the case:
    Inked1120-mov_LI.jpg
    The watch seems authentic to me, running an Omega 1128. I was wondering if this would be a store model? A fake? Thoughts?
    If authentic, do you think I would be able to resell this one day if I wanted to?

fskywalker and kidkimura like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 6, 2019

Not trying to be rude but why would you think this was a good idea to buy? No serial number, clearly says not for sale. There is a reason it was cheap, it could be stolen from a store. Maybe your dealer isn't actually to be trusted.

fskywalker and pianomankd like this.
  3. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

I totally understand. Not taking it bad... I honestly, and I apologize for being so naive, trusted the seller and he gave me the serial number by looking at the movement. Was sure it was okay... Also the fact I got a box with it, made me think the watch was legit.

I did hear these might be showroom models and that they are sold sometimes. Do you think the watch is actually legit?

fskywalker likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 6, 2019

Fair enough. The watch serial is normally to be found on the outside too on one of the lugs. I have never seen those markings before, but I don't think it is a good sign to be honest. If there is something to hide though I don't really understand why the dealer didn't just get the marks ground off and sell it as sterile, so perhaps there is another explanation. Your problem will be if it is indeed reported stolen. You may get issues if you sent it to Omega for servicing for instance, possibly a chat with the police may ensue. In your shoes I would be asking some serious questions of the dealer and would want to see proof of provenance as buying stolen goods is not my idea of great way to live.

I may be over reacting and missing something crucial, others will no doubt be along to tell me I have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Lets hope so anyway!

fskywalker and Foo2rama like this.
  5. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

I do have a receipt and a document stating the watch is sold officially by the store (mind you this is a physical store in a city) and that the seller guarantees for the authenticity of the timepiece. I did purchase it in good faith but at this point I think I will just send it back to him.

fskywalker likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 6, 2019

That won't protect you if it is indeed stolen, you can't own something that already belongs to someone else. That said, see my edit above, if you do have legal claim to it and own it legitimately then it becomes interesting, as there aren't many out there like it.

fskywalker and Foo2rama like this.
  7. wsfarrell Jun 6, 2019

No need to apologize. Watch looks legit. Omega will service it if that's what you want---people inscribe all sorts of things on their watch cases.

robinhook and fskywalker like this.
  8. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

Well, yes, but I for sure do not want to own a stolen piece and I don't want to participate in these endeavors. That's why I am getting alarmed. It is a weird thing as this was not a purchase from a guy met on the street. This is an actual store that gave me warranty for 12 months on the watch and on its safe and authentic origin.

fskywalker likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 6, 2019

Unless it was Omega who stamped the case NOT FOR SALE, in which case they will likely simply confiscate the watch.

10. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

I messaged the seller asking for more information on this and its origin. Hopefully there is an explanation.

I looked at the warranty he signed and he states the store guarantees the "authenticity and legitimate origin of the watch", officially signed by him. I purchased it in good faith and I believe him stating this on a document should release me from any responsibility since I really believed I was purchasing a normal watch from a normal used watch jewelry (which has been around for over 100 years btw...).

Edited Jun 6, 2019
    fskywalker likes this.
  11. Stripey Jun 6, 2019

Sorry, but isn't he a bona fide purchaser for value?

fskywalker likes this.
  12. rmcard Jun 6, 2019

Good point; he may be. Of course, if he attempts to re-sell after notice of its provenance... the purchaser would likely not be.

fskywalker likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 6, 2019

Doesn;t matter if it is a Omega press demo that got stolen or lost and is still Omega Property which is what that engraving looks like to me.

fskywalker and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  14. MCC Jun 6, 2019

Agree I would not go near this watch, something does not add up.

fskywalker and Stevedssd like this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 6, 2019

Not sure I understand fully understand this since I'm no lawyer but under English law at least, if the watch turns out to be stolen, it remains the property of the rightful owner and any subsequent purchaser will lose out if the watch is detected by the police or Omega themselves as it will be confiscated without compensation. You would then need to seek recourse from the dealer/seller. There would of course be no case to answer for the theft by a subsequent owner who was ignorant of the original theft but there could be if when purchased, a reasonable person could have been expected to note the markings and become suspicious. It would be a stretch to say you were guilty of receiving stolen goods in that case, but it could be technically argued at least. That said, if it was nicked from a shop, the most likely outcome if detected is simply confiscation.

Edited Jun 6, 2019
    fskywalker, Stevedssd and Foo2rama like this.
  16. dinexus Jun 6, 2019

Could have once been a production prototype of the watch – I see these all the time with media loan units and such.

fskywalker and Stevedssd like this.
  17. Stevedssd Jun 6, 2019

Looking at the thread "BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed", Pages 18 and 22 contain photo's of the pre-release/media watches being exhibited which have Not For Sale on the lug where the serial number would be. Tends to support the above. No idea what Omega would do if one of these was sent to them for service and it would certainly put me of buying this watch with the uncertainty around it's ownership. OP I'd look for a refund if possible.

18. ciandro Jun 6, 2019

Agree with you. I don't think this was stolen, but I am going to pursue the refund option.

fskywalker, Twehttam and Stevedssd like this.
  19. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

Most likely a carnet watch - shipped around before the watches are on sale, and used for demonstration, events, and pre launch press loans.

I don't believe there a legitimate way for a consumer to own one of these watches...

fskywalker and Spacefruit like this.
  20. steelfish Jun 6, 2019

Would Omega be happy servicing one of their watches that looks to have been a demo/exhibition unit that's somehow made its way into the general population? If you're worried in anyway, why not contact Omega and ask ASAP so you've a better chance of getting your money back from the seller.

fskywalker likes this.