Forums Latest Members
  1. jornorway Dec 2, 2013

Hello

I recently found an Omega Seamaster at my mothers place. It used to belong to my father and has not been used for approx 30 years.
    Dont know anything about this watch and was hoping that someone here could tell me more about it.
    The watch is a bit worn but is running fine. I am considering to have it restored and to use it

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings from Norway

2013-12-01 18.51.37.jpg

2013-12-01 22.12.40.jpg

2. ulackfocus Dec 2, 2013

You've got yourself a nice heirloom there. :thumbsup:

3. cristos71 Dec 2, 2013

Looks like an Omega Seamaster reference 176.007, great find!

4. Dablitzer Dec 2, 2013

Nice! I wish I could find things like this in my parents drawers! ;)

This is a 70's omega chronograph reference 176.007 with what looks like a nice case and dial, if it were mine I would just replace the crystal or see if you can get it buffed.

The second hand and Tachymetre look nice and white. Sometimes they age to nice vintage cream colour.

If I were you I wouldn't touch the case. It is more valuable to collectors as it is. And yours looks fine.

Cheers -

Alex

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 2, 2013

...but get it serviced, and don't run it too much until you do. After 30 years, whatever lubricant is left is useless.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 2, 2013

That is a great find and the case is in really nice condition with the sunburst graining still very much in evidence.

Definitely have it serviced before you wind it any more as the lubricants will definitely have dried out and the moving parts will get damaged. Lack of damage = cheaper service costs. It could use a new crystal (glass) - a genuine Omega one will cost about $30 or so or a generic one less than $10.

I know it is now your watch and it is great to know that you want to keep your dad's old pride and joy (rather than just sell it) but my advice would be not to take it to an Omega store for the work as they will probably kill its originality and make you pay handsomely for the privilege. I would take it to an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account and ask him not to change the dial (face) or hands and definitely not to polish the case. Unless you intend to wear it around water, I would also ask him not to change the crown or pushers. If you do want it to be waterproof, the crown and pushers will need to be changed to maintain the seals. Whatever he does change, ask him to return the old parts and keep them safe - at some time in the future, if you do decide to sell it, they will add value to the watch as someone could put them back on it and return it to its fully original state.

7. rick42650 Dec 2, 2013

very nice watch! A 70's Seamaster chronograph-with a desirable blue dial and a multi function automatic chronograph movement...much nicer and more value than an ordinary Seamaster watch...

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 2, 2013

Just spotted that you are from Norway. Anders, Northernman on this forum is also from Norway and he uses a watchmaker in the UK - I think he is probably the best customer - and Christian blogs his servicing and repairs at:

http://watchguy.co.uk/

9. jornorway Dec 2, 2013

Thanks for all replies and advice!
    Have delivered the watch to an Omega dealer here in Oslo to get a quote for having it serviced.
    The man in the store said it wouldnt cost me anything so I could get his recommendations and seek advice here when I get the quote.

Another question. Do you know anything about the strap on this watch? Is it the original one?
    My father may have used it scuba diving according to my mom.
    It says TROPIC on the straps and there is a number - 22522 - on the end of one of the straps.
    Would possibly like to change this strap for something else.

2013-12-01 22.13.02.jpg

10. chadpowe11 Dec 2, 2013

The watch is fantastic! and so is the strap. The strap is not original. You could get $50+ USD for the strap on ebay to go towards a omega strap if you wish. Love the watch :)

11. ulackfocus Dec 2, 2013

I doubt the strap is OEM Omega. Back then, the customer chose the bracelet / strap from the options the dealer offered - some were aftermarket, some were from the manufacturer.

Don't have Omega service it! They have no qualms about replacing parts with anything around that fits with total disregard to correctness and originality. Get a watchmaker who's sympathetic to vintage to do the work.

12. sgk Dec 2, 2013

Very nice indeed. As the others say, the value of this piece lies in the originality and keeping that in tact. So before letting anyone do anything to it, ask on the forums beforehand.

Are you located in the Oslo area, then I can recommend a local guy who could do a sympathetic restoration. I have also used Christian's services and he also does good work. No relation/affiliation to either. Just pm if you want more details.

Congrats again on a fantastic find :thumbsup:

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2013

A very nice thing to find in a drawer, it doesn't even look like its been polished, definitely have the movement serviced but don't let them do anything to the case, its ideal as it is.

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 2, 2013

I have to add that tropic strap is actually worth some money in itself. Just don't throw it away even if you think of switching it out.

15. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 2, 2013

The strap is not original to the watch, but it is in itself a collectable band. I would recommend holding on to it. As far at the watch is concerned, be very careful who does the restoration. A considerable amount of value is in the originality of the watch, so you might want to consider a watchmaker that caters to collectors (not Omega). I would have the watch cleaned, movement serviced and crystal replaced. Thats it.
    In any case very nice find. Here is my 176.007 all cleaned up :)

[​IMG]

Georgieboy58, Varasc, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  16. Littleroger Dec 3, 2013

Very nice to see a family heirloom being kept and respected. And yes, don't underestimate the strap. The Rolex people pay a lot for an original 20 mm Tropic. This one would also have been on Subs from the 60s so don't get rid of it cheap.
    R

17. marturx Dec 3, 2013

I have very hard to believe that that watch has been under water. Doesn´t look like it at all

18. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Dec 3, 2013

congrats! is that a blue or black dial

19. GoDuke1 Dec 3, 2013

It's great to see one of these threads with a positive outcome! Most of the drawer finds turn out to be counterfeit watches, but this one was indeed a great find.

20. jornorway Dec 14, 2013

Got a call from the Omega dealers watchmaker yesterday. The quote came in at £950. This is more a restoration than a service i believe.
    As stated earlier in this thread I want to keep the watch as close to original as possible.
    I contacted Christian - watchguy.co.uk - and I`m sending him the watch when I get i back.
    Will have the crystal changed and the watch serviced by him.

Georgieboy58, Joe K., Archer and 2 others like this.