Forums Latest Members
  1. Spartcom5 Nov 24, 2018

Hey guys, haven't had anything to post here in quite some time until now. I found this gold filled Omega Seamster today for $265. I hope it was a good price! Anyhow it has a crosshair dial which appears to be original and not redialed. The crystal is original, logo in middle, scratched up. The crown appears to be original. Case is good condition with very very little brassing. Finally the part I am excited about, the bracelet appears to be an original beads of rice. The gold is wearing off but still looks great on the watch! Overall some tlc is needed as the bracelet doesn't clasp strongly and the watch is running but the second hand is skipping and needs an overhaul. I will make sure it isn't polished or anything like that. What do you guys think about it? Also, should I wear it with the bracelet or preserve it and throw on a leather strap? Me personally would love to wear it with the bracelet! I forgot also, the lume on the minute hand has all but chipped off. I am thinking of having my watchmaker just wash it all off completely on both hands and maybe get it relumed sometime later.
    20181124_165855_resized.jpg 20181124_165901_resized.jpg 20181124_165911_resized.jpg 20181124_165923_resized.jpg 20181124_165945_resized.jpg 20181124_170010_resized.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 24, 2018

Looks to be in nice original condition. We like to call this a “barn find”.

Regarding the bracelet, any decent jeweler should be able to adjust it to your wrist size, provided that you don’t need additional links. Those could prove difficult to find.

Another thing to consider is that the bracelet is gold plated the plating will eventually wear through if worn every day.

It all depends how you intend to wear the watch, once it is serviced, of course.

Good luck with your purchase.
    gatorcpa

3. seekingseaquest Nov 24, 2018

It’s a good price, assuming the service cost isn’t too bad.

I wouldn’t do anything to the hands - just leave them original. If the lume really bothers you, I’m sure someone here could recommend a good watchmaker to re-lume them. They’re only original once, though.

I wouldn’t hesitate to wear the bracelet, but @gatorcpa is right that the gold will continue to wear off. Personally I like switching up my straps/bracelets so I wouldn’t wear it on the bracelet all the time regardless.

Edward53 likes this.
  4. Spartcom5 Nov 24, 2018

I'm thinking I can get it serviced for around $140 hopefully. Also, I definitely don't plan on wearing it everyday, more like every other week once. So I think I will keep the bracelet on for awhile. If I notice it is wearing off too much I will swap it! But I definitely plan on wearing it with the bracelet since I have been looking for a stainless one forever for a different watch I have.

5. kelev_ra Nov 25, 2018

Good buy, nice watch! Get it serviced and wear it in great health! I'd change the bracelet for some nice leather as it looks really worn out.

6. chronoboy64 Nov 25, 2018

ggod catch, enjoy and wear in good health :thumbsup:

7. KingCrouchy Nov 25, 2018

Looks great! Enjoy it!

8. chanclub Nov 25, 2018

Beautiful

9. Edward53 Nov 26, 2018

I think your watch is likely to be a 14725 case with a 570 automatic movement from around 1960. You'll be amazed how good that dial looks with the surface scratches polished off the crystal. Don't be tempted to polish the watch case as even that level of wear to the back is preferable to a buffed-up finish, which kills it from a collector POV.

As @seekingseaquest said, don't touch the hands and I too would happily wear it with that bracelet if it were mine. The only change I'd make is a better-fitting pin at the end of the clasp.

10. Spartcom5 Dec 14, 2018

I should have this watch back in a week or so. Told my watchmaker to make sure not to polish anything, except the crystal. Will get movement pictures when I pick it up! Excited to get this piece back as I love the crosshair dial.