Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Diver Chrono - dial question /certificate question

1. Jesper B Mar 31, 2015

Hello

I have been the proud owner of my first mechanical watch. Omega Seamaster.

I have just a few questions
    Is it true I can get a chronometer certificate from Omega? / What can it be used for?

And then I noticed that the hand on the dial to the right, when the chronometer goes back to neutral (30) on the dial, so is not completely straight, it stands a little to the right. It's what I should expect on a Omega? or am I too perfectionistic? - it works fine otherwise,

another question: when I start the chronometer, and stop it again. should it always returns to 0 / neutral??? or it does not matter which position the hands are in??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2015

You mean when you reset the chronograph? It should stay where it is until you hit the reset pusher. Nice watch and welcome

3. Jesper B Mar 31, 2015

Thanks Yes , I mean when I'm finished using the chronograph, and stop it(not reset). - Should I always get it back in neutral with reset button immediately, or how long may / can it be stopped without reset??

And with the right small dial(minute chronograph counter) I mean if I should expect that the hand is not 100% vertical. It stands a Little to the right(first and second Picture) ?

hope I have explained it properly:)

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2015

You don't have to reset the chronograph after stopping it - some people use the large chronograph seconds hand as a date function...it does no harm to leave it wherever you want for whatever length of time.

The minute counter hand is not aligned properly, but it's really up to you if it bothers you enough to do something now, or wait until the first service to get it fixed.

5. Jesper B Mar 31, 2015

Okay thanks!
    I have noticed that there is some backlash in the hand. It is a kind of tolerance/clearance in the mechanisme as necessary / acceptable within the tolerance ?? it is not much, but I do not know what to expect

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2015

Are you referring to the minute counter hand that isn't quite aligned perfectly? If so, then yes on this specific movement it is common. The Cal. 3330 is based on an ETA 7750 chronograph movement, with various "upgrades". One of these upgrades is to move the minute counter from it's typical position on a 7750 at 12 o'clock, to the 3 o'clock position on the dial. They do this through a series of wheels (gears) on the dial side of the movement.

So where a 7750 has the minute counter hand attached directly to the post of the minute counter jumper, this movement has a wheel attached to that post on the dial side, and then 2 other wheels after that one to bring the counter to the 3 o'clock position. All those wheels have a little backlash in them, so it adds up and you get a little side to side play in that hand as a result.

Is it acceptable? Well only those buying the watch can decide if they can live with it or not, but it's certainly not just your watch that does it. Having said that there seems to be some variability in how much the hand will move, so without knowing how bad your is, it's difficult for me to say if it is out of the norm.

Cheers, Al

Jesper B likes this.
  7. Jesper B Apr 1, 2015

Yes, its the minute counter I mean.
    Okay thanks for your help and explanation about the movement. Great help for me - now I feel better :)

It sounds like it is as you explain. It makes sense that it will provide more backlash when the movement/mechanisme had to go though several gears. So if the minute counter was at 12 o'clock instead, then there would almost be no backlash??

I do not have much experience in watches. Therefore I ask in this forum. So even if you buy expensive watches like this Omega, so there may be things like this. I do not think mine is out of the norm when you say that there are a backlash in the cal. 3330/Eta 7750 with minute counter at 3 o'clock

Of course I can go to the authorized dealer where I bought it, and they might say the same as you?. They may be able move the hand so that is completely vertical/aligned, but they can not remove the backlash?

And if I can avoid it, it is probably also better not to open the watch?

8. Hijak Apr 1, 2015

As you say, you don't have much experience in watches...don't open the watch yourself, no good will come from it, have an experienced watchmaker do it for you.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2015

AD's typically have little in the way of technical knowledge, so I'm guessing they won't even know about this issue unless another customer has brought one back.

You need a watchmaker to reset the hand, so if your AD has one on staff and it won't void your warranty, then they could reset it. They can't do anything about the backlash...

As I said in my first post, only you can decide if it bothers you enough to have it done now or wait until the first service.

Cheers, Al

10. Cooko14 Apr 1, 2015

hi great watch. i have the older version with the waves and the stainless steel rather than the ceramic bezel. I have noticed a similar thing on mine, it is ever so slightly to the left of the chrono hand when it is in the 12o clock position( the dials are arranged differently on the older version) . To be honest it doesnt bother me at all . I would wait until the watch needs a service and get it looked at if it still bothers you. Cheers

11. Jesper B Apr 1, 2015

Thanks! I think I will wait to the first service. Maybe when I've had it a little longer than a few days, it does not bother me so much.
    At the AD where I bought it say service after 8 years??? Omega's site says 4-5 year?
    They said that the chronograph buttons not allowed to used underwater? Omega's site says "The Seamaster 300M and 600M chronographs have pushers which can function under Water." ??

Other Omega's which is the same with minute hand (as you say)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Cooko14 Apr 1, 2015

i was told by AD that the newer versions like the one you have do not require service as much due to the newer co axial movement ( I cant remember the number) and that is why they are more expensive. unfortunately my model is still every 4 - 5 years. I will only take it for a service when it starts losing/ gaining 20 sec +. When i first got mine i was exactly the same, but the longer i ve had it the less i worry and the more i enjoy having a nice watch. The pushers on the chrono are usable under water so i believe.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Don't listen to the ADs, listen to Omega. Sales people float between an AD, menswear stores and cigar shops, half of them don't know anything about watches.

Omega's service interval of around 5 years is correct, don't wear it until it fails as you could end up needing to replace parts then that otherwise would have been fine.

Seamaster Pro Chronographs from 1993 onwards have waterproof pushers, that includes the original Bond 2599.80/2225.80 the Planet Ocean Chronograph, and this model is the latest addition to that line of chronodivers. This is a feature that is unique to a small number of chronographs (from memory TAG Heuer's Aquagraph, a couple of JLCs and a few others are rated for operating pushers at full depth). Don't do it on a Speedmaster or other chronograph that isn't designed for that purpose, these watches are the minority exception, not the rule.

14. Jesper B Apr 3, 2015

Okay, thanks for the help