Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 12, 2012

Respectable Members

Amongst all the vintage Omega Seamaster diver watches of the sixties and early seventies, an example that turns me on is the 300m with a big triangle at the index 12 and it comes with a date.

May I know the model reference number for this watch and also, the caliber it houses.

Kindly post pictures of the above watch and also, please advise of its price for one in top original condition and authentic. Is there anything on the market, right now?

Thank-you.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 12, 2012

The reference with date is 166.024 which would have either a cal 563, 17-jewels or 565, 24-jewels.

Best price reference is eBay completed listings, but ONLY the prices in green, which means they actually sold.

3. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 12, 2012

Respectable Member X350XJR

The information is appreciated.

So far, there is no such example sold on eBay, recently.

Hopefully one day, one of our respectable members here will want to off-load it.

Thank-you.

4. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2012

From what little I know, those big triangle dial versions sell for $2,000 in beat-up condition. They're one of the more popular options for that model.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 12, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Your information is appreciated.

Yes, I think the top condition ones are going to be a little pricey, I reckon. It is quite uncommon and attractive indeed.

Hopefully, a member will be able to post its picture here soon.

Thank-you.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 12, 2012

I haven't paid much attention to pricing on these lately since I have both a date and no date already, but I recall the large triangle
    was bringing at least a $500 premium over the standard dial.

From the web.

sm300btdate1.jpg

P1050363.jpg

7. MyVintageOmega Oct 12, 2012

Respectable Member Seamonster/ You have ordered up a rare bird if you truely seek an all original. I submit you may be hard pressed to find one that does not have the hands,bezel or dial (any one of them) or all three of them...replaced. A true to date original if found in it's true form may show some heavy wear and tear if not heavy moisture damage at best. Hope you the best of luck in hunting and would love to see the pic's when you have found one acceptable to you....happy endevours Sir:thumbsup: p.s/ In the first image above.. (dial,bezel,hands and case are not true to date) all rebuilt//// 2nd image I believe case and crystal are not true to date..........just my observation....cheers!

8. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

9. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

This non-date original sold for $9000....and I believe the case is slighty polished and crown a replacement, crystal questionable.....and no bracelet with it. I fear that if you find an all true original (in great shape)....the cost may be ridiculous. Again best wishes/respectfully.......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-60s-OMEGA-Seamaster-300-Diver-watch-/270878793190Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network[​IMG]

10. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

Respectable Member X350XJR

They are beautiful watches and thanks for posting the pictures.

Thank-you.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Thanks for the three posts.

Yes, getting something that is factory-original and authentic is a real pain in the neck, for this 300m. Something that is in above average to good in condition and if the price is right, it will be OK. The main worry is sleeping with a franken or fake.

Of course, before any purchase is finalized I would bring it to the attention of this forum.

The $9 000.00 example is in great condition. However it is way beyond me, at the moment.

I shall take my time to hunt for one and hopefully something attractive will come up, sooner or later. If ever I am unable to get something suitable, I may land up with the 120m 166073 but again, the top condition ones are not easy to come by.

I have seen one on eBay but the 'comments' in the listing makes me feel, a little uneasy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-196...546463692?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item519e328bccPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What is your opinion or fellow members' view, regarding this piece?

Thank-you.

12. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

13. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

I know little about the 120m 166073...... others will have to ring in on that ///// In regards to your next quirey (Kindly advise, whether the minute-hand and the hour-markers have lost their tritium.) I can only guess that moisture damage is the cause of discolor and am unaware how this may or may not effect tritium content. It may be more accurate to say that the tritium has lost it's lume...(respectfully)

14. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

It is all right, I shall wait for an opinion or two from other forum members, for the Seamaster 120m 166073.

By the way, how will one be able to tell the difference between 'patina' and 'moisture damaged dial'?

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  15. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

IMO....... patina is a consistant discolor of the entire dial and its components, not far off from the original color, and the consistant patina will evenly match a bezel and hands if a bezel is present (all lume has changed to another color). Most patina is of age hence a goldening or yellowing as age suggests,,,(an antique look) and in most cases a watch with great patina will have a clean near new looking movement.///////////// Moisture damage is a dark moldy look on the dial and its components, a spotty dark brown,green,black.....and the movement when looked at will show it's rusting or has a spotted oxidation, or the movement has been frankined to repair the water damage....etc.////// Again......may others ring in to clarify and I hope this helps.

16. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

17. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

This seems like straight up patina.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

Thanks for the information and at least now, I have a fair idea of the difference between the two.

Thank-you.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 13, 2012

Much appreciated of your example of a watch with typical patina. It looks indeed attractive, since the tritium on the hands and hour markers are virtually of the same tone. I think, the price tells.

Thank-you.

20. MyVintageOmega Oct 13, 2012

This is my grail from my father......great patina,staight up! kkkkkkk.jpg