Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Diver 300m (new Model) Date off centered?

1. juang1985 Aug 6, 2020

Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum and new to luxury watches and mechanical.

I recently purchased a brand new omega seamaster from local AD.

I have noticed the date seems a little bit off centered... it looks like its leaning more the left. on single digit date 1-9 seems a bit more noticeable than on double digit numbers.

this is very minor and might be consider normal. I am not sure but want to ask the more experience watch experts here.

hopefully someone can share a picture of their seamaster to compare?

your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

20200806_094559.jpg 20200806_101538.jpg
  2. Martin_J_N Aug 6, 2020

It wouldn't bother me, but it is clearly worrying you, so my suggestion would be to go back to your AD and check other new ones in the store and see if they are the same. If they are, you have an answer and if they are not, you have your answer.

juang1985 likes this.
  3. juang1985 Aug 6, 2020

Thank you for the reply. It does bother me too much. Just something i noticed and was wondering if this what some what "common"

4. Nla91 Aug 6, 2020

We are all different, but if it bothers you go to your AD and ask them.

5. bruin20 Aug 6, 2020

Could you share some pictures of the date being a number that is flat at the bottom? That should be the easiest way to tell. If its the 2nd and the bottom of the 2 isn't horizontal then its not centered. Also I'm not sure if this model has an instant date change but if its after 10PM it could be slowly creeping to the next day.

juang1985 and OmegaP99 like this.
  6. juang1985 Aug 6, 2020

Here is a picture with date 22. The date seems to be maybe 1 or 2 millimetres towards the left. very minor and less noticeable on 2 digit dates

20200806_122404.jpg
  7. gpssti4 Aug 6, 2020

Yes, it’s left justified. If you’re happy then that’s fine. Personally, I’d not be happy with it, certainly not after spending several thousand $/£/€ etc on it. I’d return it and ask for another.

8. AntonisCy Aug 6, 2020

I had the exact same problem and it did bother me. Was sent back to Omega and was fixed. They had to recenter the dial through the screws on the movement.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 6, 2020

Translation - they had to bend the dial feet to center the dial properly.

There are tolerances for how centered the date is supposed to be in the date window, but they all reference date windows that are at 3 o'clock, so the tolerances are a little difficult to translate easily into a date window at 6.

Essentially for a date at 3, there is a gap around the digit on the date indicator - ideally you would want that gap split evenly between the top and bottom of the digit in the window, as that would be centered. Omega allows deviation of 1/3 of the gap on one side and 2/3 on the other, so not quite centered.

With the date at 6, this would become the gap at the sides of the date, rather than at top and bottom. Not sure if this tolerance translates directly or not.

ama98, Wetworks and AntonisCy like this.
  10. AntonisCy Aug 6, 2020

Swatch Group Greece and Switzerland both told me that the date position was out of spec. Funny thing is that i have seen this issue in dozens of the new generation SMPs... I think there is something wrong with the design in this model.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 6, 2020

Like I said, I don't know how they are using the tolerance for the date at 6, since it's meant to be read for a date at 3. If you were to use it for the width of the gap on each side, then yes this is out of spec. I just can't say for sure that's how they are using it.

I don't think there is any design defect, but as you can see the clearance between the inside of the date window and the numbers on the date indicator is very small. This means they have to pay very close attention to how the dial is centered on the movement for it to line up properly, and not look crowded.

If you look at how the date is centered on the OP's watch in the last photo he posted, but look at the vertical spacing, you will see it is shifted high in the date window, but no one is complaining about that, because there is more space there and even when it's not 100% centered, it doesn't look crowded. If they wanted to make life easier, they could widen the date window in the dial slightly, but you can't do this too much or you will see other dates...

juang1985 and Wetworks like this.
  12. AntonisCy Aug 6, 2020

I agree. I also DID notice the shifting of the date upwards when it came to double digits on my own watch too. This guy is having the exact same issue i did.

13. juang1985 Aug 6, 2020

Thank you all for your feed back. @Archer I have attached some pictures with date set to 3. Surprisingly it almost looks perfect. Maybe 1 mi millimetre to the left. Let me know your thoughts

20200806_150257.jpg 20200806_150331.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  14. PRW Aug 7, 2020

Google the watch model and select images only, scroll through them and zoom in. There are many that don't seem absolutely perfect? I also have this very same watch but my eyesight is slipping into the getting on a bit category! So kind of looks ok to me? I certainly won't be getting a loupe out or zooming in to determine mm. I may be wrong but if you got a replacement, would you also scrutinize it to the point of finding fault? Maybe this little quirk makes it YOUR watch?

shiloh_101 and juang1985 like this.
  15. YY77 Aug 7, 2020

Although you didn't ask me I can answer this, @Archer was talking about the location of the date window on the dial at 3 o'clock not the date itself.

juang1985 and Archer like this.
  16. Canuck Aug 7, 2020

It is reasonable to expect that on lots of watches, that many of the date numerals will be perfectly centred, while an occasional numeral might be a bit off. It might be interesting to hear from owners of other prestige brands as to whether a similar phenomenon might be seen on their watches. I hope you are able to achieve the degree of perfection you desire on all 31 date numerals.

juang1985 likes this.
  17. juang1985 Aug 7, 2020

Oh... I get it now. he meant at 3 hour date position instead of 6hr date position. Got ya. Thank you for clarifying. I am a noob :)

YY77 likes this.
  18. Craigtw Aug 10, 2020

It looks like the date line’s up with the bezel perfectly. But the dial needs moving 1m to the left.

19. eldiano84 Aug 10, 2020

Ehhh it works, but take it your AD and use your warranty so they can fine tune it for you, wouldn’t hurt a bit I guess. Mine’s leaning to the left right now, but it’s doing the time change right now hahaha