Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Members

I think, I may be able to get an Omega Seamaster 120m model reference 166.073, from a friend of mine. Unfortunately, my wife has to wait for her watch, till I have some money, later on.
    SM 120m a .jpg SM 120m b .jpg .

Kindly advise, what you think about it - whether it is factory-original and authentic, or not. More importantly forum-approved.

(Respectable Mod: Kindly delete one image. I do not know what I did wrong. Typical.)

Thank-you.

Privateday7 and alam like this.
  2. MyVintageOmega Nov 5, 2012

Resp Membr. Seamonster.....from the on-set and Images.....all seems well....best regards.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 5, 2012

Great looking watch..........:thumbsup:

4. alam Nov 5, 2012

By just looking at those two pictures, it looks in good condition! :thumbsup:

5. Littleroger Nov 5, 2012

Evening Seamonster.

It may not help but I have a bunch of watches up for sale at Bonham's UK and I was browsing through their catalogue for that auction and I saw a 166.073 up for bidding. It is not one of mine, however ;-) But I will be there. Take a peak for inspiration and tips about current value. It is Lot 186 to be found here:
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19808/

6. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Members

Respectable Moderator: I thank you for deleting the extra image. Please tolerate since I am still a baby, when it comes to the use of computer.

Also, thanks to respectable members Privateday7 and alam, for liking the watch.

It is not with me as yet, since I will have to find a suitable moment to discuss with my 'boss', if she would allow me to put on hold what I have promised her - a new watch. More than likely she will, if I can find her a nice pair of shoes or a handbag.

The asking price for that watch is way above market-price (based on supply and demand). Good or bad, the devil inside me is still alive and that is, if I can afford it I will not allow market-price to be a consideration, when making my final decision.

Only enthusiasts and experts in this forum can change my mind, if it is discovered the watch is a franken or a fake, hour-markers and hands had been re-lumed or the dial has been refinished (aged is a big OK). The beauty of a watch lies in its original factory-dial and should be untouched, after leaving the factory. Probably too, the case should not be over-polished.

It is stupid for me to pay for a watch above its market-value. Indeed, if I were a dealer or a speculator. I am a vintage-watch lover and it is an accepted fact, lovers are blind and so, am I.

Thank-you.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

Your kind words are appreciated. Probably it is a healthy watch, based on the pictures.

Thank-you.

8. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Member alam

Like you, I think so to and hopefully, it is.

Thank-you.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Member Littleroger

It is nice of you to share with us the auction catalog and there are some beautiful watches, there.

As for the Seamaster 120m, do you think its dial is a service or watchco dial, since I am not able see the Ts there?

If I had the $$, I would go after the Omega Constellation in 18k yellow gold with its beautiful bracelet and from memory, item 162. It is something a little special, if its dial is Omega factory-original.

Thank-you.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 5, 2012

Respectable Member Privateday7

For both of us, it is a great looking watch, more so since I am getting it from a friend, who knows a little about vintage-watches.

There are many great looking watches we see, day in and day out. Though we think some of those watches are great, the moment we bring them to the attention of enthusiasts and experts here, it is going to be a different scenario altogether. Detecting flaws is just like taking breakfast to this lot of gifted forum members. Their honesty and integrity is an asset to people like us.

Thank-you.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 6, 2012

Couldn't agree more.....

12. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 6, 2012

Hi

From the photos it looks ok....more photos would of course be better.

I would suspect the handset lume has been refilled (?) - which I know you are not a particular fan of and the caseback has been polished.

Best - Neil

13. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 6, 2012

Respectable Member flame

I appreciate your close scrutiny of the watch.

To me, everything looks OK and I know, once I bring the watch to the attention of enthusiasts and experts like you here, there will surely be a flaw or two detected.

The polished case-back is to a certain degree can be overlooked. However, when you point out the handset lume has been refilled, I will have to think several times over and probably, not proceed with the purchase. I will then once again enjoy the beauty of vintage-watch collecting and that is, in the hunting.

Thank-you.

14. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 6, 2012

Hi SM

The date wheel is a service replacement (white numbers on black wheel)....which would hopefully suggest a recent'ish service....and perhaps the handset work completed at the same time. Would be nice to see the movement condition & serial aswell....

I wouldn't let it put you off , it's a 40+ year old watch and the trit having to be removed/replaced in the handset due to degradation is not unusual.

Best - Neil

15. Littleroger Nov 6, 2012

Seamonster,

I don't feel qualified to answer that question but I'm sure there are many here that can :)

BR
    R

16. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 6, 2012

Hi SM

Original....

Thanks Neil

17. Littleroger Nov 6, 2012

That was quick.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 6, 2012

Respectable Member flame

I appreciate your listing of the defects found on the watch, relative to factory-originality. One flaw is enough to kill my interest, even though I am aware it is a 40 year old watch. I have made up my mind not to purchase the watch, since I can wait for an original one to come along, especially a 166.024 with a big triangle at 12 o'clock and a date. This is preferred to the 120m, I should say. I am not right to assume, it is easier to get a clean 120m.

Thank-you.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 6, 2012

Respectable Member Littleroger

Thanks, that question is already answered.

By the way, are you going to attend the pre-auction inspection?

Thank-you.

20. Littleroger Nov 6, 2012

I can't, I'm afraid. Only the auction.

But a friend of mine is, should you wish to know something. I will willingly ask him, if it helps.