Forums Latest Members
  1. lawler May 31, 2020

Hello All,

This is my first post after joining the forum and reading countless posts over the last few weeks, with a view to trying to educate myself as much as possible on the vintage Omega watch world.

I am looking to source my first vintage watch and would appreciate any guidance on how to locate a good example of an Omega Seamaster Deville.

I am looking specifically for a black colour dial with crosshairs - which is the model used in the TV show Mad Men. I appreciate from my research that it is extremely likely (99.5% apparently) to be a re-finished dial and I am fine with this. I do generally like things to be as original as possible but I do not mind for this particular model as I like the style and don't think it takes away too much.

Now, I can see that the prices vary considerably for this particular watch, especially when looking at specific vintage dealer websites.

What is a good starting point on price for this particular watch, ideally in good condition (in the vintage world) and preferably with a recent service/original omega clasp?

Also, is there a specific reference for this particular watch that I should be looking for, with a specific movement or would all of this particular model have the same movements?

I have added a couple pictures showing slightly different dial variations of the hour batons.

I appreciate any help offered and look forward to becoming more involved in the community and growing my collection!

14875461-52v4581my7m6f4y58r5b24ug-Zoom.jpg 480883-f69a350cd3748098cd0074a733e82cc5.jpg
  2. Vanallard May 31, 2020

Welcome to OF - you can search “Draper” using the search function and you’ll find numerous threads discussing the Don Draper SMD.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 31, 2020

I'd say that 99.9% of the collectors on this forum wouldn't even consider such a watch.

The people making up these watches don't much care about a specific reference, anything that looks the part which they can put a refinished black dial on will work for them, they will probably polish the case and install a fake Omega buckle to reap maximum profit, including a dubious "service".

If you want a fashion watch, why not get a Fossil or Giorgio Armani or maybe an Invicta?

Davidt, Dan S and Noddyman like this.
  4. Noddyman May 31, 2020

A nice original stainless steel SMDV (ignoring dial colour) costs approx £500 - £600. A redialled SMDV regardless of dial colour should cost less in my opinion.
    Many dealers know that by painting the dial black and calling it the “Don Draper Seamaster” allows them to extract maximum profit. Originally it was probably a tatty silver dialled version ready for the scrap heap.
    Don’t get mugged into paying anything more.

Edited May 31, 2020
  5. lawler May 31, 2020

Thank you all for your sage advice.

I have decided to avoid this style of watch on the basis of its originality and the fact that dealers intend to maximise profits by refinishing the watch to the point where it takes too much away from the original.

I will continue my search for an original vintage Seamaster in good condition.

Thank you for all your help.

Damo, cassius66, Noddyman and 3 others like this.