Forums Latest Members
  1. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

This is my first vintage watch purchase so I don't have much experience. Can someone tell me what the fair price for service and a new crystal is? What all exactly is done when a watch is serviced? How is easy is it to change the band? Thanks.

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

Need pictures and more info to give more accurate info. In general, cleaning and oiling $!00 and crystal $50. However, that is very generic and usually the tip of the iceberg !

3. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

Minimum, clean and oil. Next, crystal, seal and crown check, atmosphere test for waterproof. Next, throw that f***ng Speidel in the trash and get a proper strap.
    Next, enjoy a fine watch for the rest of your life.
    Repeat every 5 years.

MKelley likes this.
  5. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

Awesome. What kind of strap would you recommend? I kind of like the nylon.

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 23, 2013

Service costs vary in country and location and so it's difficult to compare apples with apples. Looking at your watch, which is a Swiss cased Seamaster De Ville with probably a cal 563 movement, you will be looking at replacement of the crown to ensure a degree of water resistance. The crystal is hesalite and can probably be polished out.

The general regime for a "service" is removal and dis-assembling of the movement into its components, cleaning the parts in a solution using in an ultrasound machine, oiling moving parts as the watch is re-assembled and regulating the timing of the movement. Usually gaskets on case back are replaced (although yours looks, to me, like a monocoque case where the movement is accessed from the front rather than the back of the case).

With vintage pieces it's best to steer clear of official Omega service centres as they charge a bomb and often want to send the piece to Switzerland for (often) unsympathetic refurbs, so I would source a local independent watchmaker who has worked his way around Omegas over time and ask him to quote you on a service, crown replacement, and crystal polish. The lugs on your watch still have the original chamfer, and so I would request that the watchmaker doe not polish the case. A vigorous wipe with a jeweller's cloth after the case has been cleaned in solution would be all that I would be requesting.

The bracelet is easy to detach.

Cheers

Desmond

7. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

Thank you for all of the information. Doesn't replacing the crown devalue the watch?

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

I'm sorry, the pictures aren't real sharp and I think the strap is a Speidel, my apologies if it is not. The beads of rice style bracelet is well received but cheap imitations are not. If you like the bracelet (metal) look, visit here, ask a few questions and find out what is correct.
    If you fancy a strap, whether leather (croc, alligator, ostrich, lizard, etc.) or nylon, just start googling . Check the WRUW thread on the "Open Discussion" tab and see what the World's afficianado's are wearing.
    Then, go with what turns your Chick on.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

You have been blessed with gospel from the Master. Pay special attention to the help from Desmond (mondodec, above) and you are doing very, very well.

Welcome to the jungle.

10. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

Did you edit your post? Do you no longer think this a Beads of Rice bracelet? Just curious.

mondodec likes this.
  11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

Mr. Punk, If you can check the bracelet for logo's, lettering, etc. and post pictures, we will try to help. Many companies closely copy popular styles and the beads of rice is one of the most often copied. Clear pictures and info are required for definitive answers.
    It is important that we begin to distinguish between collectors and enthusiasts. Collectors are usually focused on historical accuracy, where as enthusiasts are more focused on personal tastes.
    You mentioned a nylon strap, have you seen the NATO style?
    The DEVILLE is a dressy watch, you may not see many nylons on this model, more leathers and bracelets. Google " stainless steel mesh watch bracelets" and see what you think.

12. prepishlypunk Sep 23, 2013

Thank you, Uncle Buck. I will do some googling and post more pics.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

You are welcome, please choose an avatar that we will know you by.

14. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 23, 2013

Yep I looked at one pic and made an erroneous judgement from looking at the end piece. I would ditch the bracelet and follow Uncle B's advice

BTW re crown, In the case of your De Ville replacing the crown with a genuine part will not devalue the watch. There should still be available the recommended Omega crown. Have a look at the crowns at Otto Frei

Cheers

Desmond

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2013

It's a Swiss Case De Ville and maybe powered by a 565 I guess.

16. prepishlypunk Sep 24, 2013

Given that the bracelet is not real, do you think I got a fair deal? I paid $400.00 and could still return it. I was told its from an estate so I would think it's not a franken. Thanks again.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

Price is very fair in today's market. Case and dial are in nice condition. Crystal looks decent and could be polished.

Cleaning will cost $100-$150. New crown should be under $50. New Omega crystal (if this one isn't original) will run about $40. Good used "beads of rice" bracelet will be around $200, if you can find one. As you can see, this can add up quickly. You'll need to be careful not to overspend the value on all these side items.

You might be able to shave a few bucks from the restoration costs...

If crystal is non-OEM, I'd recommend a proper Omega made replacement, as it is integral to water resistance.

Have the watchmaker evaluate the crystal seal, it may not need a replacement. All you want is "splash-proof", so you can wash your hands when you need to. I would not recommend deep sea diving with this watch.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 24, 2013

My interests are several decades before this and I am not qualified to value. Without high res. close up photos of dial, movement and inside caseback, it would be a guess at best any way.
    My advice,
    1. Peruse the sold listings on ebay to get a feel as to what they have sold for. I see them from $275-$800 (don't count solid gold ones)
    2. Check your gut as to how you feel, how much you like the watch and how important the bracelet is to you
    3. Examine the original listing. You know the crown and bracelet are wrong (but easily fixed), what could be lying under the hood? Were you misled or was something misrepresented?

I am no judge, certainly without more photos. There are experts here that may give you an opinion based on what we know. Hopefully one of them will join in.
    It seems a handsome watch begging for a nice strap anyway and fixing the crown while servicing is easy enough.

Good Luck

After posting I see Evan, GatorCPA, answered above, He is highly qualified !!

19. prepishlypunk Sep 24, 2013

Thank you both. Very helpful. Im thinking I want to verify the movement isn't a franken before I spend all this money. Is that something I can trust them to tell me or should I post pics here?

20. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 24, 2013

Pics of movement and case back should do the trick.