Forums Latest Members
  1. Max Carter Oct 4, 2018

Hi, wonder if someone can advise; my fathers Omega watch works ok and as it should apart from it stops at night when it is not being worn. Works fine during the day and keeps good time then. I sent it off to Swatch/Omega to get a price on repair, which is coming in at £422.00 including p&p. The question I would like advise upon being is it worth spending that much on this watch? If it is repaired is it likely it be worth more than the repair cost and if so how much? is there a market for the watch un-repaired and if so how much would it be worth in its present state? I dont have the watch at the moment as it is with Omega, but I have to make a decision as to repair or not.
    Below is the Omega report on the watch as part of their repair/service estimate.

Watch Specification: Brand Omega
    Watch Reference ST1650004
    Catalogue Reference O
    Serial Number 19331354
    Movement Type OLD MECHANICAL CALIBER
    Case Type STEEL
    Bracelet Type STEEL
    Our Diagnostic watchmaker/technician has examined your watch and has determined:
    Presence of light scratches, normal wear and tear
    The dial is scratched or marked The dial will remain in its current condition
    The dial has oxidised
    The hands are damaged
    This model was designed with a Plexiglas crystal The crystal is scratched
    The bezel is scratched
    The bracelet / strap is not of our manufacture

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.
    All the best
    Max

2. Rochete Oct 4, 2018

Absolutely not worth repairing by Swatch/Omega, get it back inmediately.

Anything else about what to do or not to do, I can't say without seing pictures of the watch.

3. Dan S Oct 4, 2018

Photos will be needed to judge the condition of the watch in order to give even a rough idea of value. However, if it is running, and you plan to sell it, it is almost almost always better to sell it as is, and that's what you should do. If you want to keep it, then you should definitely get it repaired.

4. ChrisN Oct 4, 2018

Definitely photos needed but from the reference quoted, this is a cal 671, I suspect. A 671 is very similar to a 2/3 sized cal 552 so, it's classed as a woman's calibre and some independent watchmakers will just not be interested as there is too much "easier" work around.

I don't mind doing them and somewhere on here is a rebuild I did of a 684 (similar but with more complications) but don't just write Omega off if they will replace any movement parts needed within that price. As there is little call for these calibres, parts are often expensive and the price can build quickly.

Cheers, Chris

5. Max Carter Oct 4, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I am not confident it is worth spending the £400+ to repair with Omega. I think I will have it returned, get photos of it and post those on the forum and see where that leads. Sentimentally i would like the watch repaired but the brain is wanting me to be cautious about overspending for sentimentalities sake!

6. Max Carter Oct 4, 2018

Dan, Thanks for the reply. As I wrote to Rochete, I am not confident it is worth spending the £400+ to repair with Omega. I think I will have it returned, get photos of it and post those on the forum and see where that leads. Cheers

7. Max Carter Oct 4, 2018

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I think the gist is I will get it back from Omega, take some pics and see what the forum can suggest. Pity i hadnt found the forum before sending off to Omega in the first place! Cheers