Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor Nov 2, 2017

Hi
    New here. I have a late 1960's Omega Seamaster deVille in otherwise decent condition except one lug broke off the case many years ago.
    I'd like to find a serviceable replacement for the case.
    Many years ago I removed the movement and cleaned and adjusted it and was surprised when i took it out of the box near thirty years later and found it still works and keeps good time.
    Don't know if I'll ever wear it much these days but I'd like to put it back in wearable condition.

Not a collector as such but I've kept a few of my old watches over the decades and inherited a few. Still have my Zorro watch from the late 50's.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 2, 2017

What's the reference number? Photos?

3. Professor Nov 2, 2017

Not being a collector I will have to find out where the number is, I suppose its inside the case?
    I have had several PC meltdowns and just got a replacement for my defunct digital camera recently and haven't reinstalled the software since my most recent full reset.
    Theres nothing remarkable about this watch, though it seems very compact for a self winding watch, very elegant but not showy. My father received the watch as a presentation from his company in 1968 for 25 years of service, though he Enlisted in the Navy soon after going to work there they counted his years of WW2 wartime military service as well as actual time on the job. The damaged case is deeply engraved (possibly a factory engraving?)
    I've inquired about having the lug replaced to salvage the engraved case but no luck there.

I'll try to reload the software for my camera and get some pics.

Only damage other than the broken lug, which happened when trying to mount a new metal band, is the gold plate on the end of the stem came off. From what I've heard thats a not uncommon problem with Omega stems, I did have that little piece of gold stashed away but I doubt I'll find it now, but its of no real importance.

I do have the original boxes, inner and outer, along with the warranty papers (much good they do now).

I'll try to find the number.

Really though the Omega has a great rep this particular model didn't seem very sturdy even for a dress watch. The movement though seems solid as the day it was made. Dad did wear it daily even at work so I guess it did take quite a beating over the years.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 2, 2017

It's inside the case back.

5. billythekid Nov 2, 2017

it sounds like the 166.020

6. Professor Nov 2, 2017

I looked up reference number 166.020 and found that model looks very much like mine but that one has a calender and mine doesn't.

I'd rather not take the movement out of the case again till I get a replacement case or find someone who can repair this case.

I checked with some experts on welding stainless steel parts but only one said he had this skill level but he was now too old and ill to try it.
    He mentioned "LASER welding" something I'd not heard of before, and apparently some of the most skilled jewelers can do this sort of work if they have the rather costly equipment.

I think my best bet is to find someone who has a smashed up Omega of this model that they'd sell for parts or just sell the case. The crystal is still usable, only a few very light and near invisible scratches. Probably buff out like new, The bezel if that's the right term shows no visible wear or damage.

I'll be sending out a few feelers to sites that handle vintage watches and see what I can find. I just last night lucked into a restored Swiss manufactured Titus, one made before they moved to China, dirt cheap, with new crystal and repainted face , When I get it, if it is as advertised, I'll contact that seller and see if he has any relic Omegas laying around.
    The repaint on the Titus looks okay but not perfect. The case looks like new. They put a cheap but serviceable band on it, If the watch runs well I'll find a better band.

I've restored a few old wind up clocks years ago, never did much with watches though.
    I tested that old Zorro watch I mentioned and found its in good mechanical condition and keeps fairly good time. It could use a replacement crystal.

Just remembered fixing a broken wristband latch on Mom's very old Bulova Rolled Gold wristwatch. It's still in the family packed away with whatever odds and ends of jewelery I've found. Even found two gold rings and two diamond rings when cleaning up the old homestead. Now I don't toss anything till I go through it carefully. The largest diamond ring was found deep in a shopping bag full of stuff mom picked up at a sale back in the fifties and put away and forgot about. I suspect one of the ladies scrambling for deals lost her ring in the mess without noticing it. I remember women could act like wild beasts at those sorts of sales.

7. tdn-dk Nov 3, 2017

165.020 automatic no date
    166.020 automatic date
    135.020 manual winding no date
    136.020 manual winding date