Forums Latest Members
  1. McHuge Oct 4, 2015

Hi all;
    This is my first post here so be kind.
    I just picked up what appears to be a vintage OMEGA Seamster De Ville Automatic.
    Im not sure what year it is, or even if its real or fake. I found it at an estate sale. I didn't pay very much for it.
    As soon as I put it on it started working and has been keeping good time since.

It is silver and has the numbers 12 3 6 9 on the face.
    It has OMEGA Automatic at the top of the face
    Seamaster Deville at the bottom
    Swiss made in tiny writing at the base.
    Has the OMEGA logo on the crown
    Has NO markings at all on the back.

It strangely has NO second hand on it.
    I would love to know if its real or a replica, what year it is, or any information at all.

Here are some photos.

DSC_0048.JPG DSC_0049.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0054.JPG
  2. redpcar Oct 4, 2015

Looks like an Omega. The center second post is missing. It's common that these break off when pulling the hands with vigor. Previous owner looks to have left it out during assembly or it is down there deep in pieces. Take it to a watchmaker. He can help you source the part(s).

McHuge likes this.
  3. McHuge Oct 4, 2015

Thanks Redpcar. Any idea what year it may be? Ive not been able to spot any other one exactly the same.

4. redpcar Oct 4, 2015

Looks like late '60s early '70s. Can't tell exactly until you pull it apart. Serial number on the movement and case number inside the back. This watch is a top loader. The movement is loaded through the crystal side. Don't start digging around in the pack trying to pop it off. ;)
    If you are new to watches, take it to a local watchmaker.

McHuge likes this.
  5. DON Oct 4, 2015

Also - minute hand is not original (hour is), so will need to source all 3 hands so everything matches

Upon further looking. Hour may not be proper to this model. Looks a tad short for the dial

DON

McHuge likes this.
  6. McHuge Oct 4, 2015

Thanks Don;
    It would not surprise me at all if the previous owner had attempted some renovations on the watch himself. It was at an estate sale and when I was looking about he had a good collection of tools in the shed. ;)

7. redpcar Oct 4, 2015

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm tools.

McHuge likes this.
  8. Hijak Oct 5, 2015

This is very similar to my reference 14905, although yours is a probably a different reference...
    image.jpeg
    I believe both hands are incorrect as well as crown. Case looks polished and dial has either been redone or someone has tried to clean it removing most of the minute track. Better pictures would make it easier to help. Oh and the SMDV was only made from 1963 to 1967.

McHuge likes this.
  9. McHuge Oct 5, 2015

Thanks Hijak.
    Thanks so much for the info. Your watch looks amazing! Looking at yours I think you are correct. I think I will take it to a watch maker and get it checked out. I'm too much of a novice to try taking a look inside, although I would love to learn. It should make for a great project and and for $75 I think it was a good jumping off point. I will come back and post when I find out exactly what Im dealing with.

10. Hijak Oct 5, 2015

Happy to help and if movement is in fair shape its worth the $75 you spent.

Very wise!

Personally I have found it is far cheaper to find a nice example and pay fair market value than to find one that needs this kind of TLC...just my 2 cents.

11. McHuge Oct 5, 2015

Yes, probably smarter, but where's the cool story for dinner parties? :thumbsup:

12. Hijak Oct 5, 2015

Toushay!

And just because, a picture of the back of my SMDV that I happen to be wearing today...
    Rear shot.JPG

McHuge likes this.
  13. McHuge Oct 5, 2015

Oh Man! I'm in deep. Thanks.

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 5, 2015

OPs watch is a mid-size ref 165.004 cal 670/671.

The giveaway is the back contour.

IMG_7409.JPG IMG_7416.JPG

kyle L likes this.
  15. McHuge Oct 5, 2015

Is that reference for the type of mechanism? (Sorry Im not familiar with the terminology yet.)

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 5, 2015

Reference 165.004 is the model number and cal or caliber is the movement (mechanism) type.

IMG_7388.JPG

McHuge likes this.
  17. Hijak Oct 5, 2015

Nice Norm, now looking at the case back I can see it, especially with the Seamaster logo back there.

18. McHuge Oct 6, 2015

Hi Guys
    I took this watch to a watchmaker today so I could get a look at the inside. It needs some work, but it is an OMEGA. I though you may may be interested to see whats going on inside. There was some rust and some issues, but I made the decision to get the old girl fixed up as good as I can. Probably not the smartest financial decision, but I just can't bring myself to let it rot away. Love to hear what you think of this.

internal_omega.jpg dial_omega.jpg