Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Database (101) - Show your Sources!

1. VintageMasters Jun 8, 2020

Hi All,

As soon as I am less busy, I want to start with an extensive Omega Seamaster Database.
    In my opinion, what you already have extensively for the Constellation and Speedmaster is a bit lacking for the Seamaster, while this is the longest running model from Omega.

The things that I want to include (not limited to):

-Variations (there are a lot so enough work to do)
    -Serial numbers and production numbers
    -Fonts and examples of dials by period and version

I will soon start with the information collection and, besides the known sources, I was wondering if you know of the existence of other databases / sources. The more the better!

Also, photos of your own vintage Seamaster with period correct dials, crowns etc. are all welcome. Try to be as complete as possible.

It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to it and hopefully it will help correctly identify dials and watches from a specific period. Certainly with the 50s / 60s models it will be a relief.

What sources do you use for searching Seamaster information?

2. Seaborg Jun 8, 2020

VintageMasters likes this.
  3. VintageMasters Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for the input!
    The focus for my database will be mainly on 50/60s Seamaster dress watches as these came in all sorts of variations and are the least well documented kind. Also a lot of redials appeared on these watches. Will start with them and work on different kinds later.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2020

Your best resources are the AJTT book and google if you can distinguish which dials are original and which are not. Of course the best is access to omega's files. This is a monumental task because you are talking about hundreds of dial variations taking into account color, texture, markers, printing. @mac_omega who created the tour de force book on omega manual wind chronometres worked on a much more limited topic and had direct access to omega HQ and it took him years! Maybe you can narrow the scope down to say seamaster chronometres.

Edited Jun 8, 2020
    CJpickup57 and VintageMasters like this.
  5. VintageMasters Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for the advice! Already knew that it wasn't going to be easy, but now I will reconsider the scope.