Forums Latest Members
  1. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Hello,
    Just closed on an Omega Seamaster through eBay, funky lugs and possibly a gamble.

Here is the US eBay # 351305261478
    #s on case back: 2846 2 SC & 2848
    Case width: 34.45mm

I have seen 30s and 40s Staybrite cases in this type and size but never in these later series.

Seller says the dial is refinished, not too worried about that, it came out nice and I specifically want this cool case. My concern : the case back has a reference that when searched for never brings up this case. I assumed - the case back is a replacement part later on down the road. Do not know serial or caliber, photos and information was limited but the movement looks fine.

What are your thoughts with this limited info? Anyone recognize this type of case, does it look original to Omega? I'll have the watch in a week or so, more pics then. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance,
    Pinzon

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 7, 2015

Edited Feb 7, 2015
  3. megamon Feb 7, 2015

@X350 XJR thank you so much!

Very appreciated, :thumbsup:
    Pinzon

4. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2015

5. megamon Feb 7, 2015

@ulackfocus
    :) :( :unsure:

Not sure on how to respond. Lol
    Cool piece huh!

:D

6. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2015

A franken is a watch assembled from parts that fit, but were never meant to go together.

That watch case is from the mid 50's, yet it has a case back from the mid to late 50's with the wrong reference number and a crown from the early / mid 60's at the earliest. From the looks of it, the movement was cobbled together from various 50x calibers too.

Everything fits, but was never assembled that way by the creators in Bienne - therefore it's just like Frankenstein's monster..... or, "Franken" for short.

7. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Ahh, I misunderstood. I saw the picture and was responding to Mr. Franken's expression.

Although it is a monster, I think it's an interesting monster! I love funky lugs.

8. megamon Feb 7, 2015

Also, thank you @ulackfocus for the detailed observation on part originality.
    I was planning on sourcing original gold Dauphine hands & keeping the rest as is. Although it's true a Frankenstein watch is a tough mover I hoped the cool lugs would make it worthwhile. I've cancelled the purchase.

Thanks again on the advice!

9. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2015

You can find these for reasonable prices in original condition. While uncommon, they aren't rare. Hold out for a better example.