Forums Latest Members
  1. Varasc Mar 9, 2013

Good evening,

I am new in this fascinating forum and in my previous topic,

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-professional-new-user.4324/

I have been kindly suggested to create a new thread concerning my grandfather's Omega Seamaster Cosmic, shown here.
    We have been asked 1085 Euro for restoring it in Switzerland and we refused the preempt, as too expensive. The bracelet was probably not original.
    The watch still perfectly works when charged (just tried).
    I would like to restore it but I would kindly ask your opinion, before. We would be pleased to use again this watch for familiar affection, but it would be useless to spend so many money for something maybe not worthy.
    I tried to identify if through the Omega's website Vintage Watches Search system but I still have some doubts.

OSC uno.JPG

OSC due.JPG

OSC tre.JPG

Thank you and kind regards,

Marco

Dablitzer likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 9, 2013

It is a beautiful watch and a great heirloom. The first user ion is what do you mean by restore? If all you want to do is ensure that it works well, keeps time an can keep going for another 50 years just take it to a good independent watchmaker who can service it. People here should be able to recommend someone, depending on where u live. That should cost maybe 200-300 dollars if no parts are needed. Plus extra for parts, new crystal etc. a good aftermarket (non omega) leather strap will cost around $50.

3. Varasc Mar 10, 2013

Thanks indeed CanberraOmega, very kind. I think I'll follow your suggestion.

I live in Milan (Lombardy) and Biella (Piedmont), both cities in Northern Italy.

Thank you,

Marco

4. Dablitzer Mar 10, 2013

I have to agree that is lovely - I especially like the dial with Roman numerals on that one. :thumbsup:

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 10, 2013

The Master of Speed is from Italy. Send him a private message as perhaps he can help

6. Varasc Mar 11, 2013

Thanks, I'll do!

7. dannyflash Mar 11, 2013

Fantastic looking piece, great history. Would look really nice on a vintage looking leather strap. Good luck with the service or restoration!

8. Varasc Mar 11, 2013

Thank you. The problem is to find an original Omega bracelet and glass.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 11, 2013

Lots of us here are not so fussed about an original omega bracelet or crystal. We usually use non-omega leather straps. But if you do want orginal, yes, the price will skyrocket

10. Nick F 05 Mar 11, 2013

That is a beautiful watch

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 11, 2013

actually, if you are after an omega beads of rice bracelet, they can be picked up on ebay for $180-$250. Also, a key reason NOT to send it to omega is that they might replace the dial with a service replacement, which may make it look sparkly and new, but destroys its value, both as an heirloom and as a collector's piece. a good independent watchmaker will be able to order in a genuine omega crystal if that is what you want.

Varasc likes this.
  12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has actually experienced an official omega service centre replacing dials, hands, refinishing original cases, etc when told not to or without them asking ?

I see it mentioned on the Internet a lot, but whenever I have used the UK service centre they have been extremely sympathetic to vintage watches, usually agree what they will not touch in advance and will not replace anything without asking first.

13. ulackfocus Mar 11, 2013

I've seen Constellation Pie Pans come back from Bienne with hands that were too long. I've seen date-at-6 Seamasters come with service replacement dials.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2013

So, in other words it probably depends on the Service Centre in your local country & sending them to Bienne is mostly for modern watches. Is that a fair conclusion ?

15. Varasc Mar 12, 2013

Hi all,

Thank you for your kind suggestions. Well, they sent me a sheet with detailed points (the things they suggested to change: glass and bracelet) and prices (1085 Euro, total amount). The Omega watchmaker in Biella, who acted as a means, told me they obviously intended to restore the watch as it was originally - with original pieces.

I'll ask to some independent watchmakers... but I don't think they will have original glasses and bracelets.

Marco

16. ulackfocus Mar 12, 2013

I guess so. Most of the collectors who know of this don't send to Omega at all. We've been recommending independents for years.

17. Varasc Mar 16, 2013

Hi all and good evening,

Following your kind suggestion I showed this Cosmic to a trusted and independent watch seller in my hometown, Biella. He sells both Omega and Rolex together with other brands, and Tudor, too. Anyway he told me he may check and restore the watch in its every component for 200 Euro, together with the cleaning of the glass.
    Furthermore he owns an original Omega leather bracelet and he may use it for my grandfather's Seamaster, for about 185-200 Euros. I think I will agree. Of course if so I will then show here the new photos of the restored watch!

18. Varasc May 11, 2013

Good afternoon,

Several weeks ago I posted this thread concerning my grandfather's watch, an Omega Cosmic bought in Milan (Italy) in 1973, for his 50 years. The original bracelet was lost and replaced, therefore I asked my watch seller to restore both the watch, the glass and to find a new bracelet.
    He kindly provided an original Omega bracelet, very elegant in my opinion.
    The watch was in good conditions, he only had to change the "ancorino", a very small part of the anchor escapement (I could not find the English translation for this word: it's a small piece with three tips, similar to an anchor or to a stylised scorpion).

I would kindly ask your help to identify the exact type of this watch, whose caliber is 613. I am checking the historical watches list of the Omegawatches.com website and found several possible entries, very similar in shape and with the same caliber, but no-one with Roman numerals!

For instance, I found this, but it shows not Roman numbers. What do you think about, please?

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14307

Cosmic

Gents' leather strap

Reference
    ST 136.0017
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 613
    Created in 1966
    17 jewels
    Functions
    Date
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case back
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    Dial
    Metal, with luminous metal hands
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

Kind regards,

Marco

OSC Due.JPG

OSC Four.JPG

OSC Sette.JPG
    OSC Six.JPG OSC Tre.JPG

19. ulackfocus May 11, 2013

'Anchor' is an accepted term for the part you're describing. 'Pallet' or 'escape lever' also work.

It's the piece on the left of this picture:

[​IMG]

Varasc likes this.
  20. Varasc May 11, 2013

Thanks Ulackfocus: it's the same piece I have here (they gave me back the old one, in the small Omega case used for the new one).
    Do you have any idea about the identification of this watch? I thought it would have been easy, having the caliber and the model. I tried with "613" and "Cosmic" and checked all the entries provided by the Omega historical website but...

Edit: I have just realised that maybe I created this thread in the wrong section - I think it should have been placed in Vintage Omega. Very sorry for this mistake.