Forums Latest Members
  1. GioKR Dec 25, 2019

Hello everyone, s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg
    I'm new here, the watch Bug bit me about two years ago and now I'm venturing into the world of Vintage watches.
    I recently found this Seamaster on ebay and impulsive me pulled the trigger.
    It looks legit to me but again I am far from being an expert.
    The add said the watch has been polished, an aftermarket acrylic glass was placed and the dial was re-painted.

I'm not planning on reselling or anything this one I'd like to keep to commemorate a special occasion.

Any thoughts and/or advise are welcome.

Happy Holidays to everyone, Giorgio.

Spruce likes this.
  2. Rochete Dec 25, 2019

Apparently it's all said about the watch, what could we add?

I know nothing about the bracelet...

GioKR likes this.
  3. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

hiya Georgio can't say it isn't pretty! she's lookin good and if you like it then it's all good :)

GioKR and Samir like this.
  4. GioKR Dec 25, 2019

Hi guys thanks for the answers, honestly as long as it doesn't turn out to be a fake, I'm happy with it.

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 25, 2019

If it’s a redial, it’s amongst the best I’ve seen. A better in-focus pic of the movement would be nice to see.

Just because it’s interesting (others here have seen way more than me) the Japanese (?) watchmakers marks inside the caseback are kinda cool

GioKR, janice&fred and Samir like this.
  6. Samir Dec 25, 2019

Honestly.... It looks stunning!
    I'll be damned but that dial looks fantastic and the polishing to create the original lines is very well done.

GioKR likes this.
  7. Stosh Dec 25, 2019

I'm with the others. That is a stunning redial.

GioKR and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. wilderbeast Dec 26, 2019

You’ll find many on here that look down on redials from a collector's point of view. The philosophy is that you want to keep as much of the watch in original, untouched condition as possible, which has an impact on value to other collectors.

However, if you want a watch in good, wearable condition, that has a vintage vibe despite the cosmetic work and is there to mark a special occasion, then I think you have done really well. The calibre 565 is a great movement: it’s in the Dynamic that is my avatar and it’s a rock solid, workhorse movement with a good reserve. It’s also a common movement that is easy to get serviced in the future.

My first vintage Omega was a redialled Seamaster and I love it, because it was bought for me as a ten year anniversary present. It’s clean and elegant and its collector's worth is irrelevant to me because I’m never going to sell it and I love wearing it. And, because I don’t need to worry about its value, I can wear it as often as I like without too much worry. Naturally, it set me off on a slippery slope and I have added other, original, pieces to the stable, but this will always be special to me, and ultimately that’s the main thing.

Wear yours in celebration and in good health!

5EA382A3-A8E2-4D15-B361-C8FA895EF450.jpeg

Edited Dec 26, 2019
  9. janice&fred Dec 26, 2019

BOOM! there you go! this is supposed to be a fun hobby and it's all about enjoying the vintage vibe! sure 100% original is nice but as long as one isn't trying to pretend or present otherwise, there's nothing wrong with wearing and enjoying an old watch that had a makeover to improve the look on the wrist. it's good bang for the buck. sooner or later the supply of all-original oldies is gonna dry up and be too expensive to enjoy.

Sidnos, GioKR, Mouse_at_Large and 2 others like this.
  10. connieseamaster Dec 26, 2019

This is pretty par for the course for watches coming out of South Korea now.

GioKR likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Dec 26, 2019

I figured this was from Korea. I saw a stunning ladies TV seamaster being offers from a Korean seller that had a blue dial just like this and the seller was very clear that it was a refinished dial- so no deception. I have a ladies TV seamaster with the original silver dial that in decent shape but the blue dial was stunning. I reached out to the seller and asked if he had just a dial to sell but alas he said they don’t keep stock as they refinish the dials individually.
    I too own a redialed seamaster- it’s beautiful and very well done and orginally I loved it- but as I have gotten deeper into the hobby and originality became important to me, I found myself not wearing it because I knew it wasn’t original- it’s a psychological thing- has nothing to do with the watch.

D8FB31BE-6A11-4B05-886C-940FBE6BB5EA.jpeg
    Yours is a beauty and about as good a redial as anyone could ask for. Considering this wasn’t a color option offered by Omega (as far as I know) it makes it unique and that color will pop on the wrist. If it wasn’t serviced by the seller ( and even if they said it was you don’t know to what extent), you should find an independent watchmaker and have it serviced- that will keep it running reliably for years.

Wear it with pride and welcome to the forum.

GioKR and wilderbeast like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2019

Nothing wrong with a redial if properly disclosed. The case work looks good, but a couple of things bug me. They left a rusted case clamp on the watch, so I do question when I see the time and effort that's gone into the case, is that where the real effort stopped? How well was the movement service done? It's important because parts for these are going up in price all the time, and can often total more than the labour for the service.

Second is the use of an aftermarket crystal...generally speaking not good for vintage Omegas to use an aftermarket crystal, as most of them don't have the proper stepped tension ring, and on this watch the crystal is what holds everything in place securely.

It does look nice though...

Cheers, Al