Forums Latest Members
  1. captainfay Nov 2, 2017

Dear All,

as a new member of the community I would really appreciate the help of the deeply respected experts. I'm considering to buy my really first vintage Omega watch (for my own pleasure and daily usage), but the seller is far away from me so I can lay my decision only based on the pictures posted by him. I've been already investigating a couple of hours to find something similar on the internet, but as a total newbie I can explore a few deviations compared to the found ones. Below are my assumptions (please feel free to correct me, any new/corrected information is more than welcomed):
    -it is from the 60's (according to the seller it is from around '67)
    -back than Omega noted that all watches may have small deviations in terms of dial painting
    -hands and crown seem to be original (or at least look like original, so seemingly not replaced)
    -they call it "crosshair" painting (as the line crosses the Omega sign)
    -graving on the case back is pretty sharp, so it was not being worn on a daily basis I guess

deviations/hesitations:
    -on similar watches the hour marks are narrower
    -the Omega sign is a bit curvy, somewhere between vintage and today's signs
    -there is no picture from the inside

and finally the pictures..
    upload_2017-11-2_23-10-26.png
    upload_2017-11-2_23-10-50.png
    upload_2017-11-2_23-11-31.png
    upload_2017-11-2_23-11-59.png

Thank you for all your help, opinion, notion and anything,
    Peter

2. fjf Nov 2, 2017

captainfay and McKinley like this.
  3. McKinley Nov 2, 2017

FWIW: I have a Seamaster Cosmic, also from 1967 by the serial number at the watchmakers right now and I just looked at pics of it on my phone and it has the same interruptions. I am no expert and am waiting on the one example to be cleaned and a correct crown placed on it, but have been assured by my watchmaker that the dial is original.

McK

captainfay likes this.
  4. dan7800 Nov 2, 2017

140309_0000.jpg I have a Seamster cosmic 68, and before it was mucked up by a "watchmaker", the crosshairs did not go through the Omega Logo.

On your example, the 5 min markers seem too thick. What is the number on the back of yours. Tough to read from the photo.

FWIW, I've heard that most black dials are redials. I might be wrong.

McKinley and captainfay like this.
  5. captainfay Nov 2, 2017

I'm continuously looking at other ones from the area, but could find only 1 similar to "mine" where the corsshair crosses the text (btw it has also narrower markers, and the hands seem to be too wide for my eye, so I'm not sure whether the below one is good for benchmark, but at least the dial painting looks more precise.)
    upload_2017-11-3_0-39-20.png
    upload_2017-11-3_0-39-45.png

6. captainfay Nov 2, 2017

Unfortunately I can't read the numbers, that's the best photo I have from the case back. I agree that the 5 min markers seem too thick, as well as the minute markers size are too long compared to the 5 min markers based on other dials I was looking at.

7. captainfay Nov 2, 2017

I think the number is going to be 135017 on the back.

8. captainfay Nov 2, 2017

and that's a third one.. but each of them have deviations compared to each other, so I hardly believe these dials tend to be originals (or who knows which is the original one.. :)

upload_2017-11-3_0-54-44.png
    upload_2017-11-3_0-55-22.png

9. dan7800 Nov 2, 2017

In the 2nd photo of the white dial, it looks like the crosshairs don't match up with the 15 min marker.

10. fjf Nov 3, 2017

Black dials are VERY often repainted...

captainfay and X350 XJR like this.