Forums Latest Members
  1. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

Got this from a seller in Canada through the 'Bay and upon receipt saw immediate red flags. Though well built and running smoothly as it should, the text on the dial, especially the word "Seamaster" along with the spacing between Seamaster Cosmic and 2000 was uneven, although the dial had no signs of being restored, retouched, or redone in any way. The "Mineral Glass Crystal" had major scratching-an unmistakable sign of a cheap glass knock off. Next I noticed the Seamonster logo on the back seemed odd and under closer magnification showed missing lines (from nose to ear and from breast to chin as well as the first A in Seamaster) that could not be from wear, leaving only poor engraving as the cause. I bought this watch on 11/14/2017. What do you all think? I say 100% FAKE from the day it was born.

DSC01038.JPG DSC01043 (2).JPG DSC01038 (4).JPG DSC01038 (3).JPG DSC01043 (3).JPG
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2017

I would say it is a terrible refinished dial in a worn-out old case, but not a fake. Do you have pictures of the movement?

3. Toishome Nov 27, 2017

Re dial for sure. This is what it should look like.

omega-cosmic-002.jpg
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2017

What that man said ⬆︎

5. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

I disagree on the redial, there are too many other things that are off. The hands are cheaply finished with a rough texture. I wish I could open it and see what is powering this phony thing. I know my OMEGAS, especially from the 60's and 70's and this one is 100% vintage but fake. Albeit, a VERY good fake.

6. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

I cannot open as it is getting sent back to the seller and it is too difficult to open and not damage.

7. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

Part of the "A" in "SEAMASTER" on the case back is completely missing. NOT worn off. MISSING. Companies tend to not mess up their own branding.

8. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Nov 27, 2017

:mad:

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 27, 2017

OP has done a great job convincing themselves their watch is fake, however no one would ever bother faking this model. :confused:

Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 27, 2017

Redial real dial in a fake case with real hands?

I’d love to see the inside.

:edit:

Ok just a redial

Edited Nov 27, 2017
  11. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

I would love a better explanation as to why the engraving on the case back is so clearly not up to the standard of OMEGA. I will do you one better, Convince me it is NOT fake. I think it was faked back when these watches were new. Not a modern fake. Tell me why I am wrong...and show your work!

12. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

Was there a Cosmic 2000 model that was NOT a Seamaster? If so, Could the case back engraving and the Seamaster Text on the dial have been added?

13. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

If you want to see the inside, as I do, I need some instruction as to properly open this style of case. I am no newbie to working on OMEGAS, but this case is a different kind of monster!

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2017

I have two Cosmic 2000 Seamasters with the tuna can cases. Both of mine have the Hippocampus faintly etched, not stamped.

One is worn to the point of extremely hard to see, the other is a little better but worn.

Your example is the result of a light stamping, years of wear and probably polishing.

Only an idiot would try to fake the unusual construction of this model.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2017

The best way (in fact the only safe way) to open this style of case is with an air pump specifically designed for this purpose.

If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a competent watchmaker.

16. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 27, 2017

I just wanted to see what people's opinions were. In my experience, Not even a stamp would completely leave out portions of the design and deeply stamp the letter right next to it. I used to deal specifically in coins and aside from a poorly prepared die, these missing lines and parts of letters are not possible through stamping. Leading to what conclusion I do not know, but I am not new to this game and something is not right with this watch. If I knew what that was, I wouldn't be asking the oracle...

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2017

You've already been told what it is.

An Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000 with a heavily worn gold capped case, a poorly executed re-dial and slightly oxidised hands, all housing a Caliber 1022 and owned by a person who seems to have a serious case of buyer's remorse.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 28, 2017

19. Davidt Nov 28, 2017

It's not fake, it's just a redial. Everything is genuine (bar the finish on the dial).

As above, it's just wear that has worn down the engraving on the back.

20. OMEGALOMANIAC Nov 28, 2017

No buyers remorse, It's being returned as it was sold to me as an all original authentic watch-which it is not. I saw that thread and it just proves my query to be one worth digging a little deeper into. The case back on the one in that thread was FAR more worn than mine and while his wore evenly, mine is missing part of the A and lines in the Hippocampus while others remain crisp and original factory brush lines still visible. If you don't care, move along. I am curious. Especially on this type of OMEGA. Why? But I have seen crazier things than a fake cosmic. Could just be a Frankenwatch with a poorly attempted engraving on a blank case back.