Forums Latest Members
  1. emirul Jul 14, 2014

I have found this watch in ebay. It is a Omega Seamaster Cosmic, ref 166.022 with Caliber no 565
    , 34mm. Unknown service history. The dial, hands, case, crown looks ok to me. The thing is there is no information on the movement. I really like the watch, kinda fit my personality. What do you guys think of it? One more think, this era of watch, what is the average winding time if it is worn regularly (8 hours min per day)?

OMEGA Seamaster 166.0022.JPG OMEGA Seamaster 166.0022 (3).JPG OMEGA Seamaster 166.0022 (2).JPG

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 14, 2014

Case looks tidy enough, but the dial has been refinished. Note the lume dots below the markers but the absence of new lume on the hands. What you would have at night would be glowing hours but no time telling.

In respect to pictures of the movement not being available, I think it would be on rare occasions indeed that a seasoned vintage watch buyer would buy a watch without having the opportunity to appraise the movement. I would say that it's too risky on a refurbished watch such as the above example.

Re " winding time" I wouldn't advise vintage watches to be on winders. As this is an automatic watch, a few turns of the crown and a day's wrist time will have a cal 565 still ticking in the morning.

Regards

Desmond

3. emirul Jul 14, 2014

Thanks Desmond, appreciate the opinion.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2014

Those chunky cases have been available as NOS from parts houses on eBay so you can potentially end up with a beat up movement and a refinished dial in an otherwise very good looking case.