Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster - circa 1961-62 - DeVille? - Strange marking

1. HaakonD Mar 15, 2019

[​IMG]
    more images here: https://networkphoto.smugmug.com/Omega/n-WsLdhj/

So I've been given this lovely Omega automatic which is working nicely - keeping time nicely. I'd just like to get some more information on it - I think I'm right in saying this is a DeVille as it has no removable back? And given that its not got it written on the face it predates 1963?

The strap doesn't look original - and I'm curious to know what the marking near the strap lug above the crown is - I've tried to get a clear picture of it here:

[​IMG]

Should I try to open it to see what movement it is - is it a difficult task?

Can replacement glass still be bought?

Thanks for any advice offered, H

Edited Mar 15, 2019
    Spruce likes this.
  2. connieseamaster Mar 15, 2019

Don't try to open this yourself. Especially if you are unfamiliar with the process.

The mark looks like it might be a a watchmaker's or dealer's mark inventory mark, but then the question becomes: why?

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 15, 2019

In my barely educated opinion, this is likely a top loader, meaning newbies like us cannot open it, a watchmaker will need to do so. My 61 seamaster was recently serviced, and an Omega cystal was available for it. Great watch, great strap for it, too.

4. Edward53 Mar 16, 2019

Why do you want to replace the crystal? I can't see anything wrong with it. Light scratches can be removed with polywatch or even toothpaste. Do not try and open it as it's a one-piece case that should be opened by a watchmaker. It needs to be serviced anyway if you are going to wear it. The movement is likely to be a 552. You are correct about the date and the make. One of the lugs appears to be bent inwards.

HaakonD likes this.
  5. HaakonD Mar 17, 2019

thanks - I hadn't noticed but yes one of the lugs is bent inwards a bit :( I had thought that replacing the crystal would make it more saleable if I were to put it up for sale.
    What cost would I be looking at to get it serviced in the UK?

6. Davidt Mar 17, 2019

Somewhere from £120 odd up to £500 (plus parts) depending whether you go independent or Omega.

If you're selling you'll likely get the most (net) by selling as is, and not shelling out for a service.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 17, 2019

If you are planning on selling you would not get the cost of service back.

8. Toishome Mar 17, 2019

I have the same watch with serial in the range of 1962 and it does say Deville on the dial so yours might even be older. 552 Caliber indeed.

s-l1600.jpg
    HaakonD likes this.
  9. HaakonD Apr 3, 2019

Yours has date though - so would that make mine a different movement to 552?

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 3, 2019

Early De Villes did not have De Ville on the dial, they had Seamaster with coat hanger S.
    The markings on the lug were from the owner or seller for inventory, I guess. Not original from factory.