Forums Latest Members
  1. kreyke Apr 17, 2017

Hello guys,

Initially, I was quite sure that this is a redial as the font doesn't look crisp enough. Also, the markers on the subdial crosses into the main dial though I know this could happen in original dials(? Not 100% sure on it)

However, seeing that it is garnering so many bids, I am starting to doubt myself. Admittedly, I have very limited experience so I was hoping you guys could shed some light on it so I can hone on my redial spotting skills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162467922584Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    IMG_9458.JPG
    For your convenience.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. jrhave2 Apr 17, 2017

I would agree that it's likely a (partial?) redial. The "Seamaster De Ville" font looks heavy to me. I'd recommend you pull the original and compare the numbers as well. The subdial to the left looks off.

3. jrhave2 Apr 17, 2017

I just zoomed in a bit on the picture - the indices also don't look like they are evenly spaced in a few places. This could be from the curve of the crystal, but it's impossible to say without more pictures. Additionally, it looks like the case has been heavily polished in the past.

I wouldn't trust the crowd on eBay to be able to identify an original (dial/case/anything). With vintage watches exploding in value, there are hordes of uneducated people dumping money on things that are not original.

Edward53 likes this.
  4. kreyke Apr 17, 2017

I see. But it's quite a lot of money to be dumping.. it's at £2500 now. ‍♂️ man. I was just wondering if I've misjudged the watch.

5. Oku Apr 20, 2017

Hope, you didn't buy the watch. I am pretty sure that it is a redial.

6. kreyke Apr 20, 2017

Haha don't worry. I didn't bid on it.

7. kreyke Apr 20, 2017

Oh and it went for £2700 pounds