Forums Latest Members
  1. Needmore Kaffe try espresso! Jan 11, 2014

I would like to know if the watch I found in my Dad's old collection of stuff is worth restoring. It is a Seamaster Automatic, calibre 750. Numbers inside back are CD 166 032 & CD 168 023. There is a number on the plate just above the 750 that reads 29099835. It does run (it has not been run much) when moved.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

Yes, it is certainly worth restoring. First, please get rid of that ugly aftermarket band and have a nice leather band fitted instead. These old Speidels tend to grind the insides of the lugs, particularly when they are rusty like yours.

The cal. 750 movement was a special 17 jewel version made specifically for the US market. Saved Omega a bit on customs, rather than importing the standard 24 jewel cal. 752. Still an excellent movement, but I'm sure yours is in dire need of some TLC. The inside gasket has turned to goo, so the case is going to need a major cleaning.

Not sure where you are located, but there are several good watchmakers that hang out here, and hopefully will see this.
    gatorcpa

fskywalker likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2014

That's a VERY popular watch amongst vintage Omega collectors. It's nickname is the Seamaster Sparkle because of the dial. I agree with gator - get that piece of s….peidel off the watch and put a nice strap on it.

4. Needmore Kaffe try espresso! Jan 11, 2014

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will definitely get the band replaced with a good leather band. If I get the watch serviced/repaired, how much would the watch be worth.
    I am in North Carolina, US.

5. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2014

It's a $500-ish watch, give or take. If it were stainless it would fetch a little more. If it were the chronometer version with a caliber 751 it would add another couple hundred at least.

fskywalker and NT931 like this.
  6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 11, 2014

The best part of these is the dial. It sparkles and fantastic to look at. The stainless is my favorite version. mine also has a cal 750.

[​IMG]

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 12, 2014

Excuse my ignorance, but I thpught with the sparklies, the dial matched the case (golden dial with gold case, silver dial with SS case). This looks like a silver dial in a gold case? Or isit just the photography?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

Nope its a valid combination:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nvan and fskywalker like this.
  9. NT931 Jan 12, 2014

Nice watch Needmore Kaffe! If you'd like some ideas on strap or bracelet combinations to your watch after servicing, search 'sparkle' on this forum for ideas, as several members have lovely examples. To get you started, here one example and another example on straps - ostrich and lizard respectively - in addition to the examples Joe and Dsio have shown.

omegamax, fskywalker and Mothra like this.
  10. Melhadary Jan 12, 2014

Very nice, Needmore Kaffe, especially if you like that gold/silver combination :thumbsup:
    Certainly one of my top 5 favorite vintage Omegas, and absolutely worth getting some TLC especially as a special family piece and collectible Seamaster.

Here's a pic of my 168.023 cal.751 chronometer version on original SS bracelet [ref. 1069 / end piece ref. 524] for your reference.

168.023 a.jpg

Personally, I found that I prefer the SS bracelets on these larger models, and I keep the leather straps for smaller Seamasters like this ones younger sister, the 168.024 cal. 564:
    168.024 a.jpg

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 12, 2014

Very nice!

12. NT931 Jan 12, 2014

Unexpected side effect of browsing this thread - I am now seized with a wholly irrational desire to acquire a steel bracelet for my sparkle dial too after seeing Melhadary's and Steve's examples.

M's watch is on a 1069/524 combo, while Steve's is on a 1098 bracelet... what endlinks does a 1098 take? 540 endlinks?

Don't mean to hijack this thread but hey, the answer to my semi-tangential question may help the OP too if he plans to get a bracelet :whistling:

fskywalker likes this.
  13. Melhadary Jan 12, 2014

Yes, end pieces 540, available at Otto Frei in SS only. 1098 bracelet, very hard to find!

fskywalker and NT931 like this.
  14. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

The case metal matches the hands and markers, but the dial background isn't always champagne on the gold capped models.

15. NT931 Jan 22, 2014

Hmm, could I ask roughly what a set comprising a 1098 bracelet and 540 end-links would cost? ~$180-200? Or more considering the scarcity?

16. Melhadary Jan 22, 2014

In stainless steel, I would imagine maybe even more... in goldcap, I would say double that, if you ever come by one! I haven't which I was 100% sure was original!

17. Happymehappylife Feb 9, 2017

I was wondering if you knew if this Omega Seamaster 750 caliber ever came in a black dial? I am looking to purchase it for my fiancé as his wedding gift. Everything seems to match with Needmore Kaffe's post except that the one I found has a black dial with silver/stainless steel hands. Also what is a fair price I should bid for it?? attached is the seller's photo:

IMG_4631.PNG
  18. David Berkowitz May 31, 2017

I just came across a Seamaster that I am considering buying almost identical to the one in the original post. It has a champaign face in a gold capped case. The bracelet is metal and the owner does not know ifit is original or not. It is quite heavy and sturdy.
    I am worried though because the back is different. It is completely plain on the outside. All the information on the inside has been scratched off and it looks as if some other numbers have been etched in above where the original numbers were.
    It appears to have the 750 calibre movement and the serial numbers are clearly visible on that.
    With the back as is, should I be worried about buying this watch? Anything I should look for?
    Thanks,

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 31, 2017

So is a boat anchor.
    We must have good pictures to help.

Samir and jumpingsecond like this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 31, 2017

Hello, Happymehappylife and welcome to the forum!
    Congratulations on making some poor soul a great wife!

We love the looks of your watch but have many questions.
    !. I take it you haven't purchased yet?
    2. Why a vintage Omega?
    3. Do you want a collector's piece or a nice-wearing vintage looking watch?
    4. Time frame?
    5. Budget?

We are a collector's forum and go crazy about details that may not mean squat to you.
    We are also a friendly bunch, anxious to help, so please let us know how!