Forums Latest Members
  1. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

Morning OF Members,

I hope everyone is doing well with the Holiday season upon us. I want to give my condolences to any pieces that were forced out on the streets to free up funds for the family & their Holiday "needs".

Feel free to respond to any piece of this thread that you may be able to give advice/information on! This thread is not a call for a fully developed single response answering of all questions. I'm here to find that information, but I do require a level of guidance with resources, well known thread resources, and general authentication tips.

Here is my assessment of a piece sent over from a family friend wanting to know what he has, I take this as an opportunity to learn everything about the piece before filling him in on the details. I am here to learn first and foremost. Many of my questions may seem trivial, but they're answers are important to me and any response given will be fully absorbed/noted/read and researched. If you do not wish to provide support, I kindly ask you to ignore the rest of this post.

Omega Seamaster Cal. 570
    After doing some research I've found that this is probably powered by a Caliber 570. I also think it's gold filled due to the stainless steel case back. <- Is this a safe assumption or has Omega shown practices that may differ?

Case-back : I believe the case back to be right. I have not been able to find much on the case back design as far as authentication goes besides obvious differences in quality engraving and something clearly faked. I am curious to know what else needs to be considered when seeing a Seamaster case back?

Dial : I believe the dial to be right.
    Is there any additional information on this type of logo stamp as far as a proper method of authentication?
    I wanted to know what else the community would be able to provide as far as this model goes, and if I am correct in my previous assessment. What type of dial finish would this be considered? Cross-hatching? Is there an MOY equivalent to this model?

Hands :
    I wasn't sure about the hands, but after studying the lume of the hour hand compared to the hour marker lume, I figured they were also original to the piece. Interested in what an experience collector is looking at with this vintage model. Only way for me to figure that out is asking directly. If there is information within in this thread that is already provided, feel free to respond with a link or PM me a link with that resource. Any and all help is appreciated - My goal is to learn & I have confidence in this community & it's willingness to teach.

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter,

Thomas

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 9.35.44 AM.png Omega Seamaster 5 back[7].jpg
  2. tdn-dk Dec 5, 2016

MPWATCH likes this.
  3. Edward53 Dec 5, 2016

Nothing wrong here, looks like a very good example of its type. It will be a 552 or possibly a 550 if it turned up in the US, gold-capped which is not the same as gold-filled. No "T" on dial which is right for around 1960 when this one dates from, going by the shape of the S in Seamaster. The linen dial is particularly nice and in unusually clean condition.

MPWATCH likes this.
  4. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

Why the difference in caliber based on geographic location of the watches production?

Thank you for this information, I've noted all of your additions and really appreciate your help.

Best,

Thomas

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2016

The cal. 550 and 560 were 17 jeweled versions of the 552 and 562 respectively.

Under US law, customs duties were more for watches with over 17 jewels in the movement.

That is still the case today, but the taxes haven't kept us with inflation. A couple of dollars on a $100 watch was a big deal. Not so much on a $5,000 watch.
    gatorcpa

MPWATCH likes this.
  6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 5, 2016

Excellent, makes perfect sense. Thank you for that information, really appreciate the help. I've learned a lot about this particular ref. / cal!

Have a great day,

Thomas