Forums Latest Members
  1. Adziu May 24, 2016

Hello,

First of all I would like to underline that I'm happy to be able to join this forum. I have been looking forward to buying my first Omega watch for a long time and it seems I will do that shortly. However, I would like to make sure this very first watch is genuine.

I have found a nice listing containing Seamaster cal. 563. However, I have some second thoughts, as I've been reading about vintage Seamasters/Seamasters DeVille for quite some time already.

May I kindly ask you to refer to below pictures?

My doubts come from:
    1) 'ultra polished' Seamaster wording and logo on the cap - it also seems to be lacking the Omega logo under the Seamaster logo
    2) The letter 'S' on the dial - I'm not sure whether that's the way it should look like, as this watch is supposed to date back to around 1970, while I used to think this shape of letter 'S' was typical of older Omegas
    3) 'Swiss made' indication is blurry, I will need to ask Seller about that
    4) ref. code put on listing is ' 166.037' - I traced that it should refer to 565 Geneve....I also thought that 563 should have 17 jewels, not 24. I already asked the seller to provide a zoomed picture of the reference code on the cap.

Here comes another example of 166.037 referring to cal. 565, this time to another Seamaster: http://www.qualityvintagetimepieces.com/RmOmega166.037full.html

Thank you very much for your help,
    Adam

- _57.JPG

$_57.JPG $_58.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 24, 2016

Based on what I can see I would say the dial has been repainted, possibly from a Genève.
    The movement looks to be a combination of parts judging by the colours and the 563/24jewels.

You've done a good job of identifying the discrepancies and should wait for a caseback shot to confirm your findings.

But I wouldn't suggest buying it.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 24, 2016

If nothing else, it's a redial. I think @JimInOz covered everything.

OMGRLX and Fordex like this.
  4. Adziu May 24, 2016

Thank you both for sharing your insights on this.
    I agree - since these appear to be reasonable (and,moreover, multiple) doubts, I will drop the idea of this purchase.

5. Fordex May 24, 2016

Cal 563 is 17 jewels :-/

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 24, 2016

Yep, the OP noted that and I used a 563 with a 565 bridge as a reason to avoid.

Adziu likes this.
  7. Fordex May 24, 2016

That's what happens when you know something and get excited to chime in... :(

Adziu likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 24, 2016

Oh, well I've never done that!

;)

Fordex likes this.