Forums Latest Members
  1. Nattyco May 15, 2020

Hi people of OF,

I am interested in this Omega Seamaster from 1959. I think the dial is original given the correct font and placements. But I am not sure about the alpha hands (They seem to have turned grey which is kinda weird) and if they are correct to this seamaster with cal 520 inside as I am unable to find that many black dial seamasters cal 520 online for cross reference. I also realized that there are variations on types of Alpha Hands and am not sure if this one is correct.

Also, the caseback is completely botched with the Hippocampus polished off completely. Can anyone advice if 400USD is an acceptable amount to pay for this watch?

Here are pictures of the watch and the alpha hands variations I found online.
    omega seamaster cal 520 front.jpg omega seamaster cal 520 front close up.jpg omega seamaster cal 520 caseback.jpg omega cal 520 mvmt shot.jpg

types of alpha hands.jpg

I really appreciate any advice and information given :) Thank you in advance!

-Nat

2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 15, 2020

I don't like that at all. It may be safest to go with rule 1 with back dial vintage Omegas: assume it is a wrongun. The hands have clearly been relumed, the caseback brutally polished and the mismatch of lumed hands but none on the dial is always a danger sign. It may not even have been a Seamaster to start with, have you confirmed what is stamped inside the caseback? I would consider this to have been messed about extensively. Is it worth the asking price? Well if you like it, it isn't mega money for an otherwise attractive look but I don't think you'll have a queue of collectors waiting to buy it off you.

connieseamaster and Nattyco like this.
  3. Nattyco May 15, 2020

Yeah I get a little more suspicious than usual whenever I see a black dial esp one in relatively great condition like this one. It seems that most of the lume on the outer side of the hour markers have fallen off so I think the lumed hands and markers design is consistent on this piece. With that being said, I still think its a little weird to have the lume "patina" to grey.

Regarding the caseback, the seller says there is a faded (extremely light signs) of a Hippocampus but the vertical brush markers suggest heavy polishing. And here's a picture of the inner caseback. seamaster cal 520 with open mvmt and inner caseback.jpg
    The reference #s seem to check out.

Thanks Padders, I appreciate the help :)

-Nat

4. Nattyco May 15, 2020

anyone else able to weigh in on their opinions? :)

5. cristos71 May 16, 2020

I think the dial and hands are original with the hands having been re-lumed and the dial markers not. These hands are typical of the period and were used on some references along side dauphine hands. The case back engraving on these models was feint and would have probably looked like the picture below. I don't like the attempted brushing of the back but if I was buying the OP's watch and the price was right it wouldn't stop me.

As usual it all comes down to price, these are 33.5mm hand winding non-chronometer watches with a snap back so not exactly highly sought after but would make a nice addition for somebody looking for an affordable piece.

omega-seamaster-ref-2964-steel-vintage-wristwatch-circa-1958-wwosnl-V07.jpg

padders likes this.
  6. Nattyco May 16, 2020

Yeah still can't get over the over polished caseback. I appreciate the all insights given, @padders & @cristos71 . Cheers! Have a great weekend ahead!

-Nat