Forums Latest Members
  1. maxg037 Jan 18, 2015

Hi!
    So I found this watch on ebay and since I've never bought a vintage watch I'd like to have other opinions on this:
    $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/141540559631?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The seller says everything is original (except the strap which isn't sold with the watch). Here's what I gathered:
    - I checked the caseback number on the vintage omega database and everything seems to be ok: http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=15248
    - The outside of the caseback seems pretty clean for a 50+ years old watch
    - The dial also looks really clean compared to the hands, crystal and case
    - I don't see anything outrageously wrong on the dial, although the logo and the OMEGA look slightly unaligned but maybe I'm just paranoid

Thanks in advance!

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 18, 2015

The dial looks original to me (I am not expert on these though) the movement looks rather harshly treated, and the case polished.

IMO if you like it and the price doesn't go much higher...it might be an "OK" buy.

Personally, I would hold out for something in better condition. If you really start getting into vintage, you won't be as happy with this one down the road. :)

3. maxg037 Jan 18, 2015

Thanks for the insight!
    You're probably right about waiting for a better watch. I'm just really hyped about finding a watch that I like in decent conditions. I'll just monitor it and see how I feel about it right before the auction ends. I probably wouldn't pay more that 170-180€ for it, but my budget for a first vintage watch is 200-250€ so I'm not sure I can get a significantly better condition for this price.
    Also one more thing I noticed on the dial: at 3 o'clock the "3" is not aligned with the marker

4. Hijak Jan 18, 2015

Hands look a bit ratty as well with minute and second hands looking too long. I don' know this reference that well but I question their originality. I'd want confirmation they were/weren't original before purchase.