Forums Latest Members
  1. anica Apr 4, 2016

Hi there,

I've been posting a few watches that I found on this blog and all your comments are really helping to find the right watch for my boyfriend.

What you guys think about this omega seamaster? It's very rare, is it real?

Thanks again

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (4).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57.JPG
  2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Apr 4, 2016

I personally find this watch to be more interesting than some of the others you have posted. What do you know about it and why is it rare? I don't recall having seen lume fade to such a dark Color before. The 9 looks misprinted and there seems to be some damage to the dial hole where the hour and minute hand pass through. Do you have any movement photos as these are very important. You may want to focus your search instead of starting a new thread every time you find a watch in your price range that you want vetted.

ConElPueblo and OMGRLX like this.
  3. anica Apr 5, 2016

Absolutly! Sorry I'm new on the forum and I really don't know how it works. I don't have more information about this one I'm afraid :(
    Thanks again

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Apr 5, 2016

Hi Anica.

I think I've already responded to you in a previous thread, and if I remember correctly, your budget was around £150, right? If that's the case, I really wouldn't look at Omega, at least not wristwatches. If you'd like to gift him something that's not only for having on display on a shelf, that amount won't go very far when looking at Omegas, sadly.

That's not to say that there aren't fine vintage watches in your budget out there; I just think your boyfriend's wearing experience will be better, if it's a more usable watch he gets :)

gop76 likes this.
  5. anica Apr 5, 2016

This is the info I've got:
    omega watch co swiss seventeen 17 jewels 11458533 qalibre 342 cordialement .

6. Canuck Apr 5, 2016

You would almost have to include the cost of servicing this watch in your over all budget. Depending on what the watch might need, and depending on the purchase price of the watch, you could end up spending more on the service than you paid for the watch! The caliber 342 as shown in this link to the Ranfft archive could be 60 to 65 years old. About the only parts availability for a watch of this vintage would be from donor watches. And there might be some difficulty finding someone who would want to service a watch of that vintage! If you are going to dabble in the area of vintage watches, it's an "in for a penny, in for a pound" sort of situation. If you have a tight budget, you might end up regretting having got involved in a project that could cost you more than you are comfortable with!

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_342

On the other hand, there is a possibility that you might end up with a watch that requires only a basic service,and doesn't require a lot of parts. Dabbling in antique and vintage watches will require a measure of commitment on your behalf! There is a lot of LUCK involved! Some GOOD, some BAD,

7. anica Apr 14, 2016

Hi there,

I found this seamster automatic. Stainless and fully working. not much more information. It seams to good to be true but again I don't know anything about watches. What you guys think? Is it fake?

$_57.jpg $_57_.jpg $_57__.jpg
  8. cimo Apr 17, 2016

The most recent one you posted looks pretty OK--but without a movement picture it's hard to say. I like the combo of arabic numerals and coffin markers.

The first one from the OP is something I would pass on.