Omega Seamaster Automatic ref. 165.002 24j cal. 552 Stainless

This is a Seamaster I had been hovering around in a pawnshop for about a month, of course it had an unrealistic asking price. I finally asked them to open the back, and once I saw the pristine 552 I shifted into another gear. In the end we settled on a fair price, after I agreed to let them keep the straight bar mesh band. Not a steal, but I left happy. I had a nice Chinese solid link bracelet that I put on it, and within a week received a nicer one that is currently on it. On both of these I had to cut down and radius the curved end pieces . I would be looking for a correct Omega band for this, or a nice replica if the cost is too silly for an authentic one.

This is my second ref. 165.002. The other one contains a 17j cal. 550 that just says Omega Automatic on the silver grey dial. Both are favorites, and they keep reasonably accurate time.

I appreciate any feedback on my watches, including honest assessments of authenticity, dials, hands, etc.

Nice looking, clean and authentic watch from the mid 60s IMO, congrats!

SS or gold / plated? Looks like gold but this can be from lighting...

What did you pay for it?

Correct genuine BOR would be available for 150-175 USD

I would be looking for a correct Omega band for this, or a nice replica if the cost is too silly for an authentic one.

Maybe do some research to determine which end-links are correct so you don't have to modify them.

There is evidence of rotor rub on the case back and the gasket is shot and should be replaced now even if you don't plan on having it serviced, which you should.

Enjoy.

Should have had a closer look at the title, OK, Stainless steel 😉

Nice looking, clean and authentic watch from the mid 60s IMO, congrats!

What did you pay for it?

Correct genuine BOR would be available for 150-175 USD

It is Stainless. I am slowly working to eliminate the white balance lighting issues that puts that gold glint on stainless. The price you mention for correct BOR sounds reasonable. Where though, ebay is more like 250.

I presented 4 Benjamins to him, and insisted that they forego the tax. See them for less, but I could hold this one in my hands. Quite pleased, and it keeps sub-minute a day time. Oddly enough, my other 165.020, a Cal 550 is every bit as accurate.

Maybe do some research to determine which end-links are correct so you don't have to modify them.
I like that suggestion, not sure which database would inform me of which end-links are correct. I have a full jewelry bench, so I am accomplishing the mod in an hour or so....slow and careful

There is evidence of rotor rub on the case back and the gasket is shot and should be replaced now even if you don't plan on having it serviced, which you should.

Enjoy.

I am getting from your advice that the rotor rub is caused by the lack of gasket, and the attendant loss of clearance. Point taken and I will get a new gasket in there pronto. Question though, if the watch doesn't even really need regulating, what is the actual need for service.....degraded lube? Thanx

I like that suggestion, not sure which database would inform me of which end-links are correct. I have a full jewelry bench, so I am accomplishing the mod in an hour or so....slow and careful

Well, some end links are folded over at the ends instead of having raw ends. Those are actually nicer end links, and would not be so easy to modify. Secondly, the bracelets themselves are collectible, and it's better to keep them intact if possible. It's more desirable to have a collectible watch with the correct end-links, and if you're going to spend the money to buy an authentic bracelet, you might as well get the right one.

A good way to do the research would be to used google images to find photos of this particular reference with good-fitting bracelets. Some will probably be sales listings with lots of photos, so you will probably be able to find photos from the back where you can read the stamped numbers on the end links. If you look at enough, you will probably identify the rights end links by consensus.

Good suggestions. I will start saving and cataloging photos

I am getting from your advice that the rotor rub is caused by the lack of gasket, and the attendant loss of clearance. Point taken and I will get a new gasket in there pronto. Question though, if the watch doesn't even really need regulating, what is the actual need for service.....degraded lube? Thanx

I hope its OK if I chim in here: There is no connection between the gasket and the rotor rub.

A new gasket will prevent dust and dirt from coming inside the case and contaminate the movement

The rotor is rubbing on the inner caseback because the bearing of the axis is worn.

I hope its OK if I chim in here: There is no connection between the gasket and the rotor rub.

A new gasket will prevent dust and dirt from coming inside the case and contaminate the movement

The rotor is rubbing on the inner caseback because the bearing of the axis is worn.

I see! Good to know. Well I guess that is why I was recommended to get a service. Thanx all