Forums Latest Members
  1. Andrew McDowell Nov 29, 2011

All,

I bought a Seamaster Aquaterra GMT at the weekend and seem to have had nothing but issues with it since. Please could you giv me your thoughts on the following points:-

I went jogging for 20 mins last night, when i was finished was reading 10 mins slow. Now i am assuming this should not be the case but am i expecting to much and should the watch be removed prior to running?

When retiring to bed last night the watch was reading correctly (after resetting following my run). but when i woke up this morning the watch had stopped at 03:30. This is the second time the watch has done this since buying it. I though the watch was self winding, but when looking through th3 crystal panel on the back, it seems that the little pendulem that should rota winding the watch has frozen (some of the time). I thought this was the case when the watch was fully wound, or am i incorrect? Do i need to manually wind the watch also?

Tks in advance for your help

Andy

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 29, 2011

Have you ever manually wound it? The auto winding mechanism keeps the watch running, it doesn't start it up, you give the crown 40 turns (in the winding direction) when you first put it on and then keep wearing it from then.

3. SynMike Nov 29, 2011

The winding issue really doesn't sound right if you wore it all day. If you only wore it for the 20 minute run, then it is probably right. It is good to give it help by giving it some manual wind when you start it up. But even without winding it manually, if you wear it all day it should be wound pretty well by the time you take it off at the end of the day. It probably should run for over 40 hours from there. So even if you had a low action day it should easily run well into the following day. I wore my PO yesterday and put it away at midnight. I wore others today but the Omega was still running when I put it on this evening. I went shopping for a couple hours then sat in front of the TV for a while. I just tested mine here at midnight and it was 3/4 wound.

As for losing 10 minutes, that doesn't sound right.

4. Andrew McDowell Nov 29, 2011

Cheers chaps for the quick reply.
    I did give the watch a wind when i first got it. Was it 40 turns? I can not be sure. I have worn the watch pretty much constantly since saturday. Granted i do sit at a desk all day but my arms are still moving to a degree. The main 2 main issues are; should teh poendulem stop swinging in the back of the watch? And why did it lose 10 mins whilst running yesterday? I will chase the dealer today to try and get an answer.
    One question i do have. SynMike, you mentioned that when you checked your watch yesterday it was 3/4 wound, how do you know?
    Andy

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 29, 2011

Given its a GMT chronograph movement its a more complicated than normal piece, and even my SMPC needs a good wind before wear, winding mechanisms are not intended to be just put on and worn without a wind first really, and people in sedentary jobs are in some cases able to let autos run down when worn, even Rolex Cal 3135 movements which are very efficient.

6. SynMike Nov 29, 2011

Andrew: One question i do have. SynMike, you mentioned that when you checked your watch yesterday it was 3/4 wound, how do you know?

When you are manually winding there is a clutch that releases when the spring is fully wound. On this watch I can hear a couple of quiet little clicks when that happens. I know that from a stopped state it is about 45 turns to wind my watch. Tonight I gave it 12 turns before I heard that click.