Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2503.50 Authentication/Service Questions

1. Yosef16 Mar 26, 2019

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I just purchased my first OMEGA. It is an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2503.50. I did as much homework on the watch as I could before I pulled the trigger as it was a flea bay find (I know). Well I got it in today and the watch looks genuine but, I do have a couple of concerns.

1. The hacking function is not working. This is a caliber 2500 and should have hacking, I believe that the movement could be damaged as it should just be a lever?
    2. The seller said Omega told him it was a 2500D and not a C. This doesn't make sense on the timeline but, the seller could be full of shit.
    3. It came with a box, hang tag, and a weird paper warranty card from SGUS dated '07.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I can provide the serial if it would help.

I am still covered through some buyers protection if it is fake but, like I said I believe it is real. Also, if the hacking is just a service issue would I go through Omega or is there a better alternative?

Thanks so much for any and all help you can give!

2. hbombkid Mar 26, 2019

Welcome to the club. I have an AT 2500 and hacking is definitely an option. If that is not working i think I would return it. Did the seller advertise that? You mind me asking what you paid?

A service is gonna be over 550 possibly more depending what is broken and needs replaced. That is through omega and the independents won’t be much cheaper.

On the movement definitely not a D. Mine is a B and is from 2005. If you have some warranty item from 07 who knows how old it is.

I have no problem servicing a watch immediately buying it but that better be advertised or the watch is rare / comes with box papers etc.

Edited Mar 27, 2019
    Yosef16 likes this.
  3. Yosef16 Mar 27, 2019

@hbombkid Thanks for the welcome! The seller was not well versed in watches from what I could tell and said it was running. Which is technically true just a function is not working. It is keeping great time +4 seconds over the past 48ish hours though.

I paid right at $1600 for it and assumed that I would get it serviced in short order as I do with most used watches I buy. So I figured with a $300ish service it wouldn't be a bad deal as most of these on Chrono24 are 2k+. The 550.00 is high but, thus is the curse of the co-axial I guess. (I got in touch with the watch maker that has serviced my past pieces, around $200-300 normally, and he doesn't touch Omega's)

I assumed it was either a B or a C due to the time period, do you think I can contact Omega and confirm the movement with them via Serial?

With that all said, from what you can see does it look legit just has some movement issues? I am planning on taking it by a local jewelry store that I do business with and get their opinion. Sadly, the closest AD is a pretty good drive.

Thanks for your input.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2019

Send me the serial number and I'll check the version to see if it's specified for this watch. But far too early to be a D...

Yosef16 likes this.
  5. johncatlas Mar 27, 2019

Surely you mean $550?

Yosef16 likes this.
  6. keepitsimple Mar 27, 2019

I think you'll find the movement type number and suffix letter stamped into the plate next to the balance wheel - e.g. (as in mine) "2403A"

Yosef16 likes this.
  7. Yosef16 Mar 27, 2019

@keepitsimple Thanks! I can tell from my picture that it is there but, I will need to take a closer look when I get home this evening.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2019

I looked up the serial number you sent me, and it didn't define the specific version of the 2500 in the watch. Again it's far too early to be a D, but looking under the rim of the balance will tell you for sure.

As far as the hacking is concerned, it certainly should hack, and if it isn't then the balance stop lever is either missing, damaged, or out of place. It can pretty easily get dislodged if whoever worked on it last didn't pay attention. It's held in place by the automatic winding bridge, so if you don't set the bridge down just right it can get moved...I always check the function of the balance stop right after putting the bridge on.

If you do take this for service, make sure whoever does the work has an Omega parts account and has been trained directly by Omega on the service, as the co-axial watches require specialized knowledge and equipment to service properly.

Cheers, Al

leafy, Yosef16 and pascs like this.
  9. Yosef16 Mar 27, 2019

@Archer

Thanks so much for checking! It turns out to be a B movement which I understand can have some issues per your great write ups elsewhere in the forums.

I reached out to the Ebay Seller and he agree to give me a partial refund for his mistake and to help cover the cost of a service.

Thanks for all your help AL and I am sending you a PM about your service.

10. hbombkid Mar 27, 2019

Definitely I edited the post hehe

11. hbombkid Mar 27, 2019

Nice man awesome the seller is giving you a couple bucks back.