Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster America's Cup Overhaul Procedure

1. ATracyWatches Jul 17, 2019

Hi Guys, I always post these threads over on TRF and they get a lot of love, so I thought I would share one over here. Hope you enjoy and learn something!

recently had this Omega Seamaster in for a service. It had been serviced in the last 6 months by a so-called expert. Clearly, he wasn’t much of an expert.

[​IMG]

As i took the watch apart it was evident the previous person who worked on the watch didn’t understand basic oiling and cleanliness.

[​IMG]

More shots during disassembly.

[​IMG]

Note the dirty oiling around the jewels of the automatic work.

[​IMG]

Hair present on the automatic work wheels. That will stop the watch at one point or another.

[​IMG]

There is so much lubrication on the chronograph hammer below it will spread through the entire movement.

[​IMG]

As I took the chronograph minute recording wheel out I was astonished out the amount of oil on the pivot. Especially considering this wheel should be run completely lubricant free.

[​IMG]

More over oiling which will spread through the watch. If the oil is left like this it can make its way onto the dial and hands and destroy them beyond repair.

[​IMG]

Contaminates mixed with oil.

[​IMG]

The escape wheel pivots were left dry. A wheel that rotate so quickly that lubrication is essential. This watch would have come to a grinding halt shortly and most likely need to have the escape wheel changed.

[​IMG]

This chronograph reset hammer is an oily mess.

[​IMG]

More bad lubrication.

[​IMG]

This is not what the inside of a barrel that was serviced a few months ago looks like. This is very typical of 'cheap' services. Watchmaker's don't bother to remove the mainspring, the main power source of the watch. They just slap some oil on.

[​IMG]

The movement went through the cleaning machine completely dissembled and is now ready for assembly. Below is a correctly lubricated barrel and mainspring after cleaning.

[​IMG]

Correctly lubricated hammer. See the lubrication? That's the point, you can't. It is only on the surfaces that contact, where it should be.

[​IMG]

Cleaned and lubricate chronograph components.

[​IMG]

Minute recording wheel cleaned and left dry, as it should be. Very basic chronograph repair knowledge.

[​IMG]

More movement shots.

[​IMG]

The movement is now assembled, correctly lubricated and running well. Something it will do for the next 5-7 years with no difficulties.

[​IMG]

timjohn, M'Bob, 8100_RPM and 12 others like this.
  2. stuart70 Jul 17, 2019

Very good post.

Als 27 likes this.
  3. Omega-Q Jul 17, 2019

Thanks...this is very "Archer-esque". I enjoy these very informative posts...it is much appreciated!

Als 27 likes this.
  4. MalaMD Jul 17, 2019

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Als 27 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 17, 2019

Unfortunately this sort of work is not unusual at all. It shows what I see almost every day on watches that come in for service - lack of basic hygiene and basic oiling procedures, coupled with a lack of understanding of the functions of various components and how that affects lubrication choices.

For many out there it seems "If a little oil is good, more must be better!"

Cheers, Al

fskywalker and Als 27 like this.
  6. ilayd Jul 17, 2019

I really enjoy reading threads Archer starts because they are amassed with just tons of great information, even if I'll never need to practically apply it myself. Others seem to really appreciate them as well. Thanks for posting, and hope you include more in the future.

Als 27 likes this.
  7. Meme-Dweller Jul 17, 2019

Wow. Amazing intricate work! The previous guy must've left the hair to retain the warranty. No hair = tamper evident = no more warranty

Als 27 likes this.
  8. KeithS Jul 17, 2019

Thanks for sharing. Do you know what certifications the previous "expert" watchmaker had (e.g. CW21)?

Als 27 likes this.
  9. ATracyWatches Jul 18, 2019

He had the old ‘40 years in the industry’.

M'Bob likes this.
  10. fskywalker Jul 22, 2019

Thanks for sharing, that’s like a WD40 DIY job ::facepalm1::

11. greyfox422 Jul 23, 2019

Beautiful explanation and pictures.

12. Martin_J_N Jul 23, 2019

Brilliant post, I know absolutely nothing about watch making or what makes the watch tick (so to speak) other than the tit-bits of information gleaned on these forums, thanks for sharing this.