Forums Latest Members
  1. Redman Oct 17, 2015

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to ask for some advice regarding an Omega Seamaster Professional 300m .

My 21st birthday is coming up and my family want to get me a watch that'll last. I've got my eye set on a Seamaster 300m as I love the design and think it's timeless, also it can be worn with loads of outfits.

My only issue is that I'm unsure about where to buy it from. I know that I want to buy the watch second-hand, as the quality comes with a hefty price tag.

I have seen the quartz Omega Seamaster on watchfinder.co.uk ( http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Seamaster 300m Mid-Size/2561.80.00/7941/item/55813 ), which seems to be a reputable site. Obviously incorporated into the price-tag is the fact that you're getting the watch from a professional source that can definitely be trusted, so it's a bit more than you'd pay on ebay for the same watch.

However, in looking at Seamaster's on ebay it has come to my attention that you can get an Automatic Seamaster for less than the price of the quartz from watchfinder.co.uk ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191716552587?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network ). I'd prefer the automatic, as I like the idea of owning a watch that needs you in order to keep on ticking. Although the watch is cheaper, and better, it's from a source less reputable than watchfinder.co.uk which adds to the risk.

I was wondering what your opinion is on this matter? Is it worth risking buying the better, cheaper watch from ebay? Or should I stick to the more expensive quartz with the trusted seller?

Thanks

Matt

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 17, 2015

Great birthday present. Have you looked on the For Sale forum here? These type of watches come up all the time.

Watchfinder is always going to be expensive and you should be able to find something cheaper.

Do you want that exact model? I have one of the more recent ones (non wave dial, but with a ceramic bezel) I am considering selling. Will post a pic shortly.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 17, 2015

4. ConElPueblo Oct 17, 2015

It's a great watch, but pricing on these are all over the place. Like @CanberraOmega I have one which I'll (probably) look to sell at some point, though mine is the black bezeled one.

With regards to the watch on eBay, I'd pass if I was you. If you look closely at the bezel (especially at pic 2) you can see that the scalloped edge is less than sharp, in fact it looks as if it has lost its edge due to polishing - a sign of a (too) worn watch. It's probably were you can see wear easiest on these models. It has a few dings on the side of the case, too.

Furthermore, regarding the quartz model you've linked to - it's not the full size version, and should command a lower price. For some, the smaller (4-5mm) size compared to the full size won't matter, but having small wrists myself, I couldn't imagine wearing the smaller version.

It's a great watch, the 300 Pro. The bracelet is extremely comfortable, the profile is slim and goes under a shirt cuff easily and the "guts" are very good, be they the older caliber 1120 or the newer co-axial 2500. I simply cannot fault my own Pro and it's only because I'm going more into vintage watches I'm edging towards selling it. Haven't got a decent photo of it, but since you're apparently looking at the blue model, I won't spam you :D

Just noticed - the quartz model is from 2000?!? That price is outrageous.

5. Redman Oct 17, 2015

Thanks for the quick responses!

@CanberraOmega I'm not fussed about the exact model, unfortunately it's more the price-tag that'd be the issue with a newer version.

@ConElPueblo I do prefer the blue bezeled one but I don't mind too much about the colour. I noticed that it had quite a few knocks, thanks for the info. I shall definitely pass on that one.

I've got a pretty small wrist but I tried on the 36mm in a shop recently and I quite liked the size on my wrist. Is it not advised to have a small watch + small wrist? Or is that just a personal preference?

I wasn't too sure about it being from 2000 either, it's going to have had a lot of wear. Any recommendations for a trustworthy place I could get it at a more reasonable price? I'm from the UK!

6. ConElPueblo Oct 17, 2015

Well, it's all about personal preferences, and if you like the smaller one better, don't let me or anyone else tell you that it's the wrong one for you! What I do know is that it is less sought after (not that any of these are rare, far from it!) than the 41mm one, so the price needs to reflect that. Regarding English trustworthy sellers, the only one I know of is www.hackettwatches.com, which I've only heard good things of. Overall, it's a pretty common Omega reference, so there are always a number of them for sale, which is good - take a look at the completed listings on eBay, compare the sold articles with regards to condition, serviced/non-serviced, etc. and get some knowledge about the market. That will enable you to make a better deal for the watch that's special to you.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 17, 2015

Just to echo a bit of advice. I recently bought a 2255.80 and find it a perfect fit on my relatively small wrist. If you don't particularly dismiss the quartz versions of the 41mm line, you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable amount.

Then again "reasonable" is open to interpretation. :rolleyes:
    IMG_20150911_172004.jpg

8. OmegaSean Oct 18, 2015

I'd definitely look around outside London, it's the most expensive place to buy a watch. I work near here and looked at the Omegas in the London exchange was shocked at the cost of secondhand Omegas from them. For £1000-1250 you should be able to buy a much newer one late 2000 easily. Personally I wouldn't buy one from E Bay unless it's a shop you can go and look at and check all the cards etc...... You may have to travel a little way to find a good one but it can be part of the experience and fun.
    Good luck don't rush watches come up regularly
    OmegaSean

9. Redman Oct 18, 2015

Thanks for the advice!

@ConElPueblo I'll keep checking on hackettwatches.co.uk but at the moment they only have an electric blue seamaster which I'm less keen on. I shall check that out!

@Mouse_at_Large Looks really nice! I'd definitely consider a quartz version.

@OmegaSean I've noticed they're a lot more in London. I'll bare the travel advice in mind!

I've spent a few hours scouring the internet today, in search of an automatic version at a reasonable price and in reasonable condition. I managed to find a second hand automatic Seamaster (41mm) from 2007. It's up for £1295. It seems to be in good condition; there's one or two nicks to the bezel, but they aren't too noticeable. I've included a few photos! What do you think? second-hand-omega-seamaster-divers-watch-automatic-p1768-5402_image.jpg second-hand-omega-seamaster-divers-watch-automatic-p1768-5403_image.jpg second-hand-omega-seamaster-divers-watch-automatic-p1768-5405_image.jpg

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  10. OmegaSean Oct 18, 2015

Take cash, get a grand out if they say no leave your number, tell them you have others to look at walk away and wait bet they phone you PDQ :)
    OmegaSean

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  11. italy1861 Oct 18, 2015

Has it ever been serviced? If not, factor in another $200-$350. Mechanical watches need servicing every 4-5 years.

12. dyin12 Oct 26, 2015

I'm in the same place as you are OP. I'm flipping between Seamaster and Speedmaster. Personally, I like the Speedmaster. I would echo some of the stuff said by other posters by suggesting you check the for sale section here. You could find a lot of good, authentic stuff.