It's now running slow and the bracelet is
    Worn out
    The price quoated for service is $599
    and that not including a rework of bracelet
    Restore or buy new ?
    All comments welcome
    Thanks

2. w.finkenstaedt Jan 7, 2017

Without knowing which Seamaster you bought, it's likely that you're about 10 years overdue for a service.

A new Seamaster goes for $4400, down to about $2600 if you go grey market (no warranty). Up to you, but I always prefer to service my watches rather than buying a new one. That's the entire point of mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMeister406 and ctime3 like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2017

Early nominee for "Best Haiku"* at the 2017 OFfies.

*A haiku may or may not be four lines of text. I don't know. This was too good to pass up.

Syrte and Davidt like this.
  4. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

How can I tell which model of
    Seamaster ? I thought it was a year 2002 model

5. w.finkenstaedt Jan 7, 2017

Easiest would be to post a picture. Watches don't really have model years, as there are definitely cases of watches that have sat in ADs for years, sometimes decades, before being sold.

In any case, it definitely needed a service about 10 years ago. It's cost of ownership; you should be budgeting at least $100/year for upkeep of your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

Difficult to post pic, this site asks for a ULR
    And I'm operating with a iPhone

7. Davidt Jan 7, 2017

Several Seamasters have been available over the last few years. Is it the 'Bond' Seamaster.

Have you got a pic?

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 7, 2017

Just take a photo, then you can use the "add photo" button, next to "reply" and you can upload it from your iPhone

9. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

IMG_0236.JPG
  10. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

Is this a Bind ?

11. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

Bond

12. Davidt Jan 7, 2017

Looks like the 2254.50.

Auto movement not Quartz?
    Quite collectible as they were oy made for a few years. If definitely get that serviced.

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2017

Technically it is a 2054.50 since it has the Bond bracelet not the Speedy but it amounts to the same thing, a desirable watch: in good condition it would be worth considerably more than the OP paid for it, more like $1750. That one is a bit lived in though, a full Omega service will bring the case and bracelet back to near new cosmetic condition but the bezel insert will still be scratched since they don't refurbish those, only offer to replace at considerable cost. If the bracelet is stretched or damaged that is a problem since they only refurb those, not rebuild them. It may just be the pic but it looks like there is something weird about the scalloping on that bezel, it almost looks grooved. That is not normal! You may be looking at an extra $250 in addition to the service fee to replace the scratched, modified bezel.

BTW the $599 you quote sounds pricey for a service. Here in the UK at least it would be more like £350 (currently $430) for a full service at the Omega Service Centre. You may want to contact your local centre to check the actual cost since a jeweller may be taking you for a ride and adding a big commission for arranging the service.

Edited Jan 7, 2017
    Davidt likes this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 7, 2017

It looks like someone has "modded" (butchered may be a better description) the bezel to try and get extra grip. Also the bezel insert appears to be misaligned. Perhaps it's been tinkered with over the course of it's life. Nevertheless, a desirable Seamaster that some say is a candidate to be a future classic.

A good 2nd hand 2254.50 will probably be in the region of $1750 - $2500+ depending on condition/service history/box&papers etc and whether you are sourcing from a private seller or a dealer.

As it stands, I would be looking to pay around 1/3 to 1/2 of the lower end for your example (based on the limited info and pictures) due to the wear, bezel, bezel insert and lack of service. If you find out the breakdown of exactly what it would cost to bring it back to something close to near factory condition, it's possible that you might not lose out if you decide to sell in future. The alternative is to sell it as is and look for a replacement.

15. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

Wow great reply
    It was purchased new from the dealer for
    $ 1250 in 2002, I just found the receipt and it's a 2054.50 ( good call)
    The grooves you see where a customization
    Omega in all their infinite wisdom created
    a dive watch that was more stylish than functional.
    If your fingers are wet you can't turn the bezel ?
    A clever jewelry repair man Notched it
    Can you tell me if I could just buy one like
    It ( used but not abused) ?

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2017

No that model, while being of the same dimensions as the Bond SMP is known as the Blake or Sword Hands SMP. They ran from 1998-2008 and are considered by many to be better looking than the Bond as they take many design cues from the classic 1960s 166.024 SM300 dials.

17. Davidt Jan 7, 2017

Yes still available on secondary market. Search by ref no quoted. Probably one available in FS section of this forum.

18. Palmbeachfish Jan 7, 2017

I guess that I'm now looking for another

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 7, 2017

Take a look at the 2254.50 too, that has a different bracelet design but is basically the same watch.You may be right to consider selling and buying again since you may get approaching $1000 for that even in the condition it is in but if the bracelet needs replacing then to put it back to new condition will cost the service + bezel + Bracelet, this will be circa $1400, ($700 if the bracelet is saveable). Let someone else take it on and treat it as a project.

Edited Jan 7, 2017
  20. meganfox17 Jan 7, 2017

Beautiful ! Highly collectable. You're right Sir. That's a SMP Ref 2054.50 only because it's on a Bond bracelet.
    I think there's excessive wear & tear on the bezel , less scalloping & the grooves are really prominent. Either the crown guards look grind down or the crown is pulled out. Here's a comparison between old & new bezels[​IMG]

Yester5 and Miss_Bourginskay like this.