Forums Latest Members
  1. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

I have my great uncles Seamaster Tachymetre 861 which I sent to Omega to refurbish as it was in pretty bad shape. I am wondering if it is worth having it refurbished since they want to charge me @ $2k to do so. Any advice is appreciated

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 9, 2016

Get it back. Omega tends to return watches to as close to brand new as possible which means they replace the dial and hands which ruins its value.

As for the price without knowing condition of the watch who knows what the price would be at an independent watchmaker generally cheaper though.

Once you get the watch back and post some pictures of it the forum would be happy to recommend someone near you who can service it.

Is it a Speedmaster though? Seamasters don't normally have tachometers.

Edit

Ok almost all 861 seamasters have a tach...

Edited Dec 9, 2016
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 9, 2016

Pics please.

Maybe great uncle's watches passed down are different than uncle watches passed down.

Likely answer is no, but really need pics to get a good answer from those here. We don't know what exactly is "pretty bad shape".

4. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2016

No pics, eh?

No camera Bob? If not, I'm sure your cousin Bruce has a good one he can loan you. He has the best gadgets!

5. Davidt Dec 9, 2016

I'd agree with the above that any vintage watch wirth servicing is better done by an independent, sympathetic to vintage pieces. You quote the estimate in £, are you in the UK? If so, Swiss Time Services/SwissTec are a cheaper, around enter option.

Also, there are several Seamaster 861's with tachy, so this could well be correct. Get some pics uploaded and we'll be able to offer more help b

Edit - sorry you didn't quote in £ at all. Still, don't send it to Omega unless you want it looking brand new. And if you do, just buy a new one.

Edited Dec 9, 2016
  6. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Here is a picture, and yes, they want to replace the dials, etc.

[​IMG]

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 9, 2016

Picture isn't showing up. Instead of providing a link, save it to your computer and use the add photos next to the Reply button.

8. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

9. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Thanks!

10. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Best picture I have now, but am asking for it back so any good repair places in the Philadelphia, PA area would be much appreciated, do not want them to ruin the original integrity of the watch

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 9, 2016

Maybe, since it's not a Speedmaster, @ulackfocus can help you with the watchmaker.

Jwit likes this.
  12. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Here is their report on the condition:

The dial's lacquer coating is damaged.
    - The case is corroded.
    - Case back has been damaged by use of an inappropriate tool.
    - The case back could remain in its current condition.
    - Due to years of wear, we can no longer ensure or warranty total water resistance.
    - The original color of dial cannot be guaranteed after dial refurbishment is performed.
    - Your existing hands are no longer available; the replacement version may differ.
    - Moisture damage evident on dial.
    - Moisture damage evident on the hands.

13. cvrle1 Dec 9, 2016

Do not let them replace dial or hands. They will put service parts in there that look meh at best, and thus your watch loses a lot of it's charm and value.

noelekal likes this.
  14. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

I have requested the watch back and will post more detailed pictures once returned

noelekal likes this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 9, 2016

Please make them higher resolution.

16. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Ha ha, Grandfather's Brother.

Taddyangle likes this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 9, 2016

Once you get your watch back, add some hi res pics and we can give you more guidance.

I am posting my straight writing, as this too was sent to Omega for service. It came back with a new dial and hands. Fortunately, the person I bought it from had the old parts saved. However, my point is, Omega said the dial and hands needed to be changed. The first thing I did when I bought the watch was to put the old dial and hands back on the watch.

Not a single member here would agree that these hands and dial needed to be replaced.

upload_2016-12-9_11-51-39.png

18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 9, 2016

Good man!

Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Swissgmt1675 Dec 9, 2016

You did well..Next time please bigger resolution pics..

20. BobWayne Dec 9, 2016

Thanks, and they wanted to charge me $1,100 to replace the dial, seems excessive