Forums Latest Members
  1. Commander D Feb 26, 2015

This my first vintage purchase. I have been looking for something vintage for quite some time and eventually settled on a Seamaster 600 based on its clean look and simple elegance. I realize the fact that it has had its case polished, face cleaned and the crystal replaced may not be to everyone's taste but it was exactly what I was looking for. The photos were taken by the eBay seller I purchased from and I will add my own once I have the brown Horween Shell Cordovan strap I bought from NOMOS for it fitted.
    I do however have one novice question to ask about manual wind movements. I have an automatic Seamaster 2531.80.00 (Bond) which when it has been left unused for a week and I pick it up begins to tick again. I would have assumed however in the case of a manual wind watch that movement would have no effect on it ticking, yet when I took the Seamaster 600 from its packaging and began to admire it it started moving. I opened the caseback to confirm the movement is the one photographed, which it is. It has kept good time for the past hour having been wound but I am concerned that it seemed to move of its own volition when I unwrapped it. Is this a fault with the watch?
    $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (11).JPG

rhetoric likes this.
  2. Hijak Feb 26, 2015

You have a very nice watch there! Why do you think the case has been polished and the dial has been cleaned...everything looks really good from your pictures. I think the case and dial look just fine, the edges on the case look sharp and the dial looks totally origional (and having crystal replaced is no big deal). The crown looks origional as well. I have a 136.011, same watch just with date and yours looks very good! Movement looks very clean too with serial number dating it to ~1966. Congrats on a great find and enjoy your first vintage watch.:thumbsup:

Commander D likes this.
  3. Bruffell06 Feb 26, 2015

Nice, simple, elegant and understated. Really nice example. Looks a real good purchase :thumbsup:

Commander D likes this.
  4. rhetoric Feb 26, 2015

These are excellent watches and yours looks to be in great condition. I reckon that if it operates with just a little shake then it must be well lubricated. Others may say that it still needs to be serviced and that's probably correct. I have a couple of manual winders that start up like this. Maybe they're just rarin' to go? :)

Commander D likes this.
  5. Commander D Feb 26, 2015

@Hijak I just assumed the face had been cleaned and the case polished because the face in particular looks immaculate to the naked eye and does not show any obvious signs of aging. Additionally my complements on your Seamaster collection, I admired them at length when contemplating my own purchase.

Thank you all for the kind comments. You have all put me at ease because even though I felt that I'd done all my due diligence I really started to doubt myself when I had unwrapped the watch. I will certainly sleep better tonight, many thanks.

Hijak likes this.
  6. OmegaRookie Feb 26, 2015

Nice watch! One of these days I'm going to venture into a vintage like this. I love the clean lines of this watch.

7. JG808 Feb 26, 2015

Nice vintage watch. I really love these Seamasters.

8. Dr No Feb 27, 2015

You did well for a first-timer! Completely original and correct to my eyes, even if I can't see the Ω symbol etched in the crystal.

Wish I'd held onto the Seamaster 600 that was briefly in my possession several years ago.

DSCN2880.JPG

At least it belongs to a friend who lives nearby, so I get to see it every once in a while.

Cordially,

Art