Forums Latest Members
  1. Tatu Dec 28, 2017

Hello,

Greetings from Germany.
    Going to use my second post to introduce myself a bit and ask couple of of questions of my first find.

Shortly about myself; Finnish car designer working for BMW, a passionate vintage motorcycle builder who always wanted to have a vintage Seamaster 600. For weeks now I have been reading and looking picture to identify some areas of the watch but little help would be highly appreciated.

To the point. Quite an impulsive purchase because of the price and the wonderful look of the technical black dial.

135.011 marked in the case. Calibre 601 and the serial 22 xxx xxx (1965 if I am not mistaken) identified from the bad pictures what the seller provided - haven´t opened it yet. Works great but need to take it to the professonal soon.

Some of my own findings/assumptions:

Dial
    looks mint to me - not redone?

Case looks bit too good in real life to be "not polished". Some edges a bit rounded also.
    Seamaster logo on the back has some wear towards the bottom. Normal wear or cause of the polishing, can´t say.

Hands; looks original to me and relatively good shape. Just wondering; if the minute hand is supposed to have that small knick towards the end - going down slightly. I have drawn one exaggerated red line to the last photo to explain what I mean. I have seen one picture with similar bending but as an novice can´t really say. Damage or feature?

Crown: has an Omega logo on it. But haven´t seen this "chunky" type in any pictures. Not an original?

Crystal: I found it a bit odd. Edges are heavily chambfered and the overall look is thick. Extremely clear though. Thoughts?

Band: Replaced it right away to be able to wear the watch. So no original buckle, cheap leather band at the moment.

In the end this is gonna be my daily piece, but some information and comments would be nice to get. Do I have a real deal here or did I get bamboozled. ::facepalm2::

I appologize the picture quality - trying to get some studio time soon.

1.jpg
    2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Cheers and happy new year!
    Tatu

Edited Dec 28, 2017
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 28, 2017

Rather amazing 600 you have there.

::love::

Crystal is after market and crown is not correct for this model but is an acceptable replacement.
    Case is a bit worn but still attractive. Will have a 601 movement, extremely reliable when serviced properly ad that dial is original and amazing (IMO).

More about your motor cycles?

Cheers

Jim

Foo2rama and Tatu like this.
  3. Georgieboy58 Dec 28, 2017

Perfect watch for a Finnish designer, I wasn't even aware of this model. One could imagine this to be designed by Dieter Rams ;-)

Tatu likes this.
  4. fjf Dec 28, 2017

Hey Tatu nice watch you got there!. Enjoy and merry christmas!.

Tatu likes this.
  5. Davidt Dec 28, 2017

You're fine with that one. The dial looks very good and the case is decent. Crystal not correct but a replacement isn't a big cost.

Tatu likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 28, 2017

Nice
    Even have the correct long second hand IIRC

Foo2rama and Tatu like this.
  7. Tatu Dec 28, 2017

Thanks guys! Does someone have a thought about the bend/knick of the minute hand? Might change the the crystal while I do the maintenance - although it´s more about esthetics. I guess it´s also possible to find correct crown.

8. Tatu Dec 28, 2017

As I mentioned the seller did not provide high quality photos throughout the selling process (Older lady - selling inherited piece) As an example: movement pic (after retouching it in photoshop) ::facepalm2:: sh*tty pic, but had to make a call based on this and couple others. Pointed part has an unusual color compared to pictures found in internet - changed? Anyway have to get the watch open to reveal the whole truth...

movement.jpg

Edited Dec 28, 2017
    marco likes this.
  9. jaguar11 Dec 28, 2017

That does look really nice. Wear in good health!!!!

10. Vanallard Dec 28, 2017

11. ConElPueblo Dec 28, 2017

This has to be the first time a new collector comes here and shows a black dialed Omega bought on impulse that doesn't turn out to be a complete dog's breakfast :D

Well done @Tatu, this bodes well for your collecting career!

dxholdren, Dr No, TexOmega and 11 others like this.
  12. Tatu Dec 28, 2017

Hah, great encouragement - had to show this to my fiancée. So better start looking that Speedster right away. :D

marco and mydeafcat like this.
  13. marco Dec 30, 2017

Well done my friend. That is a wonderful way to start in collecting Omega watches.
    Just a lovely example of the 600.

Tatu likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 31, 2017

The kink in the minute hand might be original to clear the original crystal. I’ve got some pieces with kinks like that.

Tatu likes this.
  15. singacquiesce May 29, 2018

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2018

singacquiesce likes this.
  17. singacquiesce Jun 1, 2018

If anyone has a Seamaster 600, like this one, please let me know as I’m currently looking. Have posted in the “Wanted To Buy” section. Thanks!